Mario Balotelli Close to AC Milan Move - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 28, 2013 10:09 PM EST
Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli is moving closer to a switch to AC Milan, with The Sun reporting a £17m fee has been agreed between the two clubs. In addition, the Italians may also include former Tottenham midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng.
There is still some confusion over details though. Goal.com's report indicates a deal for £20m, after the English champions were persuaded to climb down from the £25m valuation; Balotelli signed for the Etihad club in 2010 for £23m, according to the Daily Mail.
And Milan vice-president has been rather cryptic about the whole situation, commenting: "Yesterday was 99.9% no, today is 99.5% no. It is a situation different from that of yesterday, but the bag is closed until tomorrow morning."
It does appear, though, that a loan deal has been completely ruled out. Balotelli's agent, Mino Raiola, is believed to be speaking to City officials on Monday, to facilitate a transfer.
Balotelli, meanwhile, seems confident of a move away from England. Goal.com reports the Italy international has given notice on his rented Cheshire house and begun transporting personal belongings to Milan. In addition, the striker reportedly held a party on Sunday, for close friends, and told them he was joining the San Siro club.
Milan's determined pursuit of Balotelli is a little surprising, given the vehemence with which club president Silvio Berlusconi described the player.
"The name of Balotelli never came into my thoughts. He is a rotten apple and could infect every group where he goes, even Milan," the former Italian Prime Minister said.
However, it would appear needs must when the devil drives, for Berlusconi apologised for that comment later.
Balotelli had a good season last campaign, scoring 13 Premier League goals from 14 starts. This term, however, he has failed to deliver and been involved in training ground fights with manager Roberto Mancini. He has only one goal from 14 league appearances.
The move could benefit Milan considerably, providing Balotelli keeps his notorious temperament in check. The Rossoneri are fifth in the Serie A, with 37 points from 22 games. League leaders Juventus are 12 points clear at the top and Lazio occupy the final Champions League qualifying position (third) with a six point buffer to Milan.
The former Champions League winners do have highly-rated Italian youngster Stephan El Shaarawy and compatriot Giampaolo Pazzini up front (with 15 and 10 goals respectively) but lack cover and depth, particularly with the club still alive in the Champions League, where they will face former champions Barcelona in the first knock-out round.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks