Mario Balotelli Close to AC Milan Move - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 28, 2013 10:09 PM EST
Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli is moving closer to a switch to AC Milan, with The Sun reporting a £17m fee has been agreed between the two clubs. In addition, the Italians may also include former Tottenham midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng.
There is still some confusion over details though. Goal.com's report indicates a deal for £20m, after the English champions were persuaded to climb down from the £25m valuation; Balotelli signed for the Etihad club in 2010 for £23m, according to the Daily Mail.
And Milan vice-president has been rather cryptic about the whole situation, commenting: "Yesterday was 99.9% no, today is 99.5% no. It is a situation different from that of yesterday, but the bag is closed until tomorrow morning."
It does appear, though, that a loan deal has been completely ruled out. Balotelli's agent, Mino Raiola, is believed to be speaking to City officials on Monday, to facilitate a transfer.
Balotelli, meanwhile, seems confident of a move away from England. Goal.com reports the Italy international has given notice on his rented Cheshire house and begun transporting personal belongings to Milan. In addition, the striker reportedly held a party on Sunday, for close friends, and told them he was joining the San Siro club.
Milan's determined pursuit of Balotelli is a little surprising, given the vehemence with which club president Silvio Berlusconi described the player.
"The name of Balotelli never came into my thoughts. He is a rotten apple and could infect every group where he goes, even Milan," the former Italian Prime Minister said.
However, it would appear needs must when the devil drives, for Berlusconi apologised for that comment later.
Balotelli had a good season last campaign, scoring 13 Premier League goals from 14 starts. This term, however, he has failed to deliver and been involved in training ground fights with manager Roberto Mancini. He has only one goal from 14 league appearances.
The move could benefit Milan considerably, providing Balotelli keeps his notorious temperament in check. The Rossoneri are fifth in the Serie A, with 37 points from 22 games. League leaders Juventus are 12 points clear at the top and Lazio occupy the final Champions League qualifying position (third) with a six point buffer to Milan.
The former Champions League winners do have highly-rated Italian youngster Stephan El Shaarawy and compatriot Giampaolo Pazzini up front (with 15 and 10 goals respectively) but lack cover and depth, particularly with the club still alive in the Champions League, where they will face former champions Barcelona in the first knock-out round.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports