Stock index futures signal slight gains
January 28, 2013 9:49 PM EST
Stock index futures pointed to a slightly higher open on Wall Street on Monday, with futures for the S&P 500 up 0.04 percent, Dow Jones futures up 0.18 percent and Nasdaq 100 futures up 0.01 percent at 1023 GMT (0523ET)
Rallies in European shares and the region's single currency stalled on Monday following brisk gains last week as investors awaited confirmation that financial market conditions and the outlook for the euro area have improved.
Activist investor Carl Icahn on Friday pushed offshore driller Transocean
US Airways Group Inc
Johnson & Johnson
The world's biggest coffee chain Starbucks Corp
On the earnings front, companies such as Yahoo
The Standard & Poor's 500 index closed above 1,500 for the first time in more than five years on Friday as strong U.S. earnings reports, including Procter & Gamble's, helped the benchmark extend its rally to eight days.
The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> rose 70.65 points or 0.51 percent, to close at 13,895.98. The S&P 500 <.SPX> gained 8.14 points or 0.54 percent, to 1,502.96. The Nasdaq Composite <.IXIC> added 19.33 points or 0.62 percent, to end at 3,149.71.
(Reporting by Blaise Robinson; Editing by Catherine Evans)
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage