Tottenham Transfer News: Villas-Boas Ready for Risky Step
By Vishnuprasad S | January 28, 2013 9:43 PM EST
Andre Villas-Boas has revealed Tottenham Hotspur are willing to take the risk of not buying a striker in January.
Spurs are presently without both recognised senior forwards. Emmanuel Adebayor is with the Togo squad at the Africa Cup of Nations, while Jerman Defoe suffered a minor ankle injury in training and missed the weekend's FA Cup match against Leeds United.
Versatile midfielder Clint Dempsey led Villas-Boas' attack at Elland Road, with inexperienced academy product Jonathan Obika the only forward on the bench. And despite conceding a 2-1 defeat against the Championship outfit, the Portuguese tactician remains reasonably content with his options up front.
"We are happy with the options we have, but we understand injuries can put us in a difficult position. Obviously Ade [Adebayor] is at the Africa Cup of Nations and he has already missed a couple of games, but we have to see how he progresses in the competition and then have him back," Villas-Boas told Goal.com.
"He [Defoe] got a knock in training unfortunately ruling him out of this game. He will definitely be back for the Norwich game. I think, as I have told you before we are comfortable. It [not signing anyone] is a risk we are willing to take," the 35-year-old stressed.
Villas-Boas also hinted it was unlikely Tottenham would make any other additions in this window. There was speculation the north London side was attempting to fast-track the deal for Schalke midfielder Lewis Holtby but when asked if the German could arrive in January, the manager replied: "Not sure, probably not."
The former Porto and Chelsea manager also acknowledged his side performed poorly in the first half of the weekend's game, leading to their exit from the FA Cup.
"It was a difficult game to play, the second half was better than the first but we could have done better to avoid the defeat. We could have done better defensively and offensively," Villas-Boas said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments