Tottenham Transfer News: Villas-Boas Ready for Risky Step
By Vishnuprasad S | January 28, 2013 9:43 PM EST
Andre Villas-Boas has revealed Tottenham Hotspur are willing to take the risk of not buying a striker in January.
Spurs are presently without both recognised senior forwards. Emmanuel Adebayor is with the Togo squad at the Africa Cup of Nations, while Jerman Defoe suffered a minor ankle injury in training and missed the weekend's FA Cup match against Leeds United.
Versatile midfielder Clint Dempsey led Villas-Boas' attack at Elland Road, with inexperienced academy product Jonathan Obika the only forward on the bench. And despite conceding a 2-1 defeat against the Championship outfit, the Portuguese tactician remains reasonably content with his options up front.
"We are happy with the options we have, but we understand injuries can put us in a difficult position. Obviously Ade [Adebayor] is at the Africa Cup of Nations and he has already missed a couple of games, but we have to see how he progresses in the competition and then have him back," Villas-Boas told Goal.com.
"He [Defoe] got a knock in training unfortunately ruling him out of this game. He will definitely be back for the Norwich game. I think, as I have told you before we are comfortable. It [not signing anyone] is a risk we are willing to take," the 35-year-old stressed.
Villas-Boas also hinted it was unlikely Tottenham would make any other additions in this window. There was speculation the north London side was attempting to fast-track the deal for Schalke midfielder Lewis Holtby but when asked if the German could arrive in January, the manager replied: "Not sure, probably not."
The former Porto and Chelsea manager also acknowledged his side performed poorly in the first half of the weekend's game, leading to their exit from the FA Cup.
"It was a difficult game to play, the second half was better than the first but we could have done better to avoid the defeat. We could have done better defensively and offensively," Villas-Boas said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports
- Iphone 6 Release Date Fast -Approaching, Reuse and Recycle Program Now in Australia