Arsenal to Compete with Tottenham in Race to Sign Belgian Forward - Report
By Didrik Ottesen | January 28, 2013 9:21 PM EST
Aston Villa star striker Christian Benteke could be leaving Villa Park, with long-time admirer Arsene Wenger ready to see off competition from rivals Tottenham and Liverpool for the Belgian's signature.
Benteke, a life-long Arsenal fan, was a summer transfer target for Wenger before his surprise £7million transfer deadline day move to Aston Villa from Genk in August last year, and the 22-year-old has never hidden his desire to play for the north London side.
"Arsenal are the club I love, I like their philosophy of selecting young players and, besides, they had Thierry Henry, for me he's the best player in the world and was my boyhood idol.
"I am not afraid of making enemies at Villa by saying I love Arsenal," Benteke said only a few months ago in the Sun.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, who admitted earlier in the season that he was interested in signing Benteke during the summer transfer window, has been under fire from his own fans as they are increasingly frustrated by the Frenchmen's unwillingness to splash the cash in the club's bid for fourth place and potentially Champions League football.
Benteke's 11 goals for struggling Villa this season have also sparked interest from Arsenal's rivals Tottenham and Liverpool who are both considering new attacking options according to the Mail.
Tottenham, with Emmanuel Adebayor away on duty at the Africa Cup of Nations, are left with Jermain Defoe as the only recognised striker and may well be looking to improve their squad.
Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert will undoubtedly be reluctant to see the back of his top scorer as he prepares his young side for a relegation battle, however he might have reason for concern when it comes to the history of owner Randy Lerner, who has cashed in on the likes of Ashley Young, Stewart Downing, James Milner and Gareth Barry in the past.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change