Arsenal to Compete with Tottenham in Race to Sign Belgian Forward - Report
By Didrik Ottesen | January 28, 2013 9:21 PM EST
Aston Villa star striker Christian Benteke could be leaving Villa Park, with long-time admirer Arsene Wenger ready to see off competition from rivals Tottenham and Liverpool for the Belgian's signature.
Benteke, a life-long Arsenal fan, was a summer transfer target for Wenger before his surprise £7million transfer deadline day move to Aston Villa from Genk in August last year, and the 22-year-old has never hidden his desire to play for the north London side.
"Arsenal are the club I love, I like their philosophy of selecting young players and, besides, they had Thierry Henry, for me he's the best player in the world and was my boyhood idol.
"I am not afraid of making enemies at Villa by saying I love Arsenal," Benteke said only a few months ago in the Sun.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, who admitted earlier in the season that he was interested in signing Benteke during the summer transfer window, has been under fire from his own fans as they are increasingly frustrated by the Frenchmen's unwillingness to splash the cash in the club's bid for fourth place and potentially Champions League football.
Benteke's 11 goals for struggling Villa this season have also sparked interest from Arsenal's rivals Tottenham and Liverpool who are both considering new attacking options according to the Mail.
Tottenham, with Emmanuel Adebayor away on duty at the Africa Cup of Nations, are left with Jermain Defoe as the only recognised striker and may well be looking to improve their squad.
Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert will undoubtedly be reluctant to see the back of his top scorer as he prepares his young side for a relegation battle, however he might have reason for concern when it comes to the history of owner Randy Lerner, who has cashed in on the likes of Ashley Young, Stewart Downing, James Milner and Gareth Barry in the past.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions