Israel Moves Iron Dome to Haifa over Syria Chemical Weapons Fears
By Vasudevan Sridharan | January 28, 2013 9:12 PM EST
Israel has moved two of its Iron Dome missiles, which were effective in the recent Israel-Gaza conflict, to the troubled zone.
Israel has also threatened to take military action against Syria if it chooses to use the much-feared chemical weapons against the rebels. Apart from the missile deployment, Israeli forces have also stepped up other security systems to closely monitor the situation in Syria.
Israel's latest move has come when local reports suggest that the Hezbollah is trying to seize Syria's powerful chemical weapons. Israeli officials, however, maintained that the deployment is part of a "routine" military exercise. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has held several meetings with officials over the Syrian crisis.
According to Ynet News, the militant group has set up "several bases" in the war-torn Syria where the stockpile of chemical weapons is believed to exist. Syria's chemical weapons hoard is said to be the largest in the Middle East region.
According to reports, Israel fears that if Hezbollah gets hold of the chemical weapons, the militant group might quickly transfer them to Lebanon posing a serious security threat to Israel.
The latest report published by the Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security (RUSI) says the Syrian regime controlled by President Bashar al-Assad has potentially five chemical agents manufacturing plants and several dozen additional storage sites some of which are in hardened bunkers.
The use of chemical weapons has become a huge cause of concern for world powers during the second half of the 22-month-long uprising in Syria against Assad.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- UK Asks NATO to Stand Up to Russia
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff