Goldman to advise Siemens on water unit sale: sources
January 28, 2013 8:56 PM EST
The sale may be launched officially in the second quarter, the sources added.
Siemens and Goldman Sachs declined to comment.
Siemens, Germany's second-most valuable company which makes products ranging from fast trains and gas turbines to hearing aids, in November announced it plans to sell the water unit with annual sales of about 1 billion euros ($1.35 billion).
Since then, several possible bidders have approached the Munich-based group and investment bankers have started to work on the topic, the sources said.
Siemens built up its water technology operations through a flurry of acquisitions over the last decade. Among others, it bought the water systems and services division of US Filter from Veolia Environnement
Since much of Siemens's water business is focused on North America, industry sources expect U.S.-based peers Xylem
"Asian companies are also likely to throw their hats into the ring," one of the people said. The region was experiencing rapid economic growth, climate change impacts, rising populations and stricter energy and water regulations and is therefore expected to see heavy investment in water treatment equipment in coming years, he said.
Kurita <6370.T>, Hyflux
Big private equity groups like KKR, Bain or Permira are also expected to show interest.
Permira in 2011 bought Israel-based Netafim, a maker of irrigation technology, for 800 million euros.
Siemens Water Technologies offers technology ranging from conventional water treatment to emergency water supply and water disinfection systems.
A report published in 2010 by Global Water Intelligence, an industry journal, put the size of the global water market at more than $500 billion.
($1 = 0.7421 euros)
(Reporting by Arno Schuetze; Additional reporting by Jens Hack; Editing by Hans-Juergen Peters)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged