Toyota Regains Global Top Spot with Record Sales
By Jerin Mathew | January 28, 2013 7:29 PM EST
In 2012, the company sold 9.75 million vehicles group-wide around the world, beating rivals General Motors and Volkswagen, who sold 9.28 million vehicles and 9.07 million vehicles respectively. Toyota sales represent a year-on-year improvement of 22.6 percent.
Group sales include those from subsidiaries Hino Motors and Daihatsu Motor Co. Toyota-only sales rose 22.8 percent to a record-high of 8.72 million vehicles.
Toyota lost its No. 1 position in 2011, falling behind GM and Volkswagen. In 2011, the company's sales suffered from negative publicity following a number of recalls in the US and a supply chain disruption due to natural disasters in Japan and Thailand.
Nevertheless, the company's sales improved recently as the automaker added new models to its product-line. Toyota's sales surged in Asia and improved in North America, offsetting weak demand in Europe and boycott of Japanese products in China.
Camry sedan and Prius hybrid continued to be the best-selling vehicles for the company.
The company's business also suffered from a strong yen earlier this year, making its products more costly for foreign buyers. Nevertheless, the Japanese currency has declined nearly 15 percent against the US dollar since November 2012, helping the company's profit growth.
Toyota targets to sell 9.91 million vehicles group-wide in 2013, an increase of 1.6 percent from 2012.
The Japanese carmaker had raised its annual profit forecast in November, expecting a net profit of 780bn yen ($8.6bn, £5.4bn) for the financial year ending 31 March 2013, up from its earlier of forecast of 760bn yen.
Toyota's domestic rival Nissan reported a record 4.94 million vehicle sales in 2012, while Honda sold 3.82 million vehicles, up 19 percent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Rises Again Despite Bendgate, iOS 8 Bugs; Samsung Stock At Two-Year Low
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Ello Pegged As The Anti-Facebook Social Network
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate