India Joins US, France, Russia and China with Successful Launch of Underwater Ballistic Missile K-15
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 28, 2013 7:19 PM EST
India on Sunday joined the select league of nations - USA, France, Russia and China - to launch nuclear-tipped missiles from sea by successfully test-firing its underwater ballistic missile, K-15, which has a range of 700 km.
Completing India's nuclear triad, which refers to its ability to fire missile from land, air and sea, the indigenously built K-15 missile was launched from a pontoon in the Bay of Bengal off Visakhapatnam coast, meeting all the objectives of the mission.
"The medium range K-15 ballistic missile was test fired successfully today from an underwater pontoon and all parameters of the test firing were met," Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) chief V K Saraswat told PTI.
"This is a significant development and capability enhancement. The launch of the SLBM (Submarine-Launched Ballistic Missile) is a complex technological development. And now since the missile is ready for induction, this is a major punctuation in India's indigenous missile development programme," said security expert Commodore (retd) Uday Bhaskar.
The development of the K-15 missile started in the late 1990s with an aim to build SLBM. It has a length of 10 metres, weighs 17 tonnes and can carry a payload of up to 1,000 kilograms. The test firing on Sunday was the final development trial of the missile which is expected to be integrated with INS Arihant soon.
It is said that India is now in the process of developing the K-4 missile which has a range of 3,000 km.
The nation was in the news last year after the successful launch of Agni-V, a solid fueled Inter-continental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) which is capable of reaching deep into Asia and Europe. The indigenously-built missile has a range of more than 5,000 kilometers (3,100 miles).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales