India Joins US, France, Russia and China with Successful Launch of Underwater Ballistic Missile K-15
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 28, 2013 7:19 PM EST
India on Sunday joined the select league of nations - USA, France, Russia and China - to launch nuclear-tipped missiles from sea by successfully test-firing its underwater ballistic missile, K-15, which has a range of 700 km.
Completing India's nuclear triad, which refers to its ability to fire missile from land, air and sea, the indigenously built K-15 missile was launched from a pontoon in the Bay of Bengal off Visakhapatnam coast, meeting all the objectives of the mission.
"The medium range K-15 ballistic missile was test fired successfully today from an underwater pontoon and all parameters of the test firing were met," Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) chief V K Saraswat told PTI.
"This is a significant development and capability enhancement. The launch of the SLBM (Submarine-Launched Ballistic Missile) is a complex technological development. And now since the missile is ready for induction, this is a major punctuation in India's indigenous missile development programme," said security expert Commodore (retd) Uday Bhaskar.
The development of the K-15 missile started in the late 1990s with an aim to build SLBM. It has a length of 10 metres, weighs 17 tonnes and can carry a payload of up to 1,000 kilograms. The test firing on Sunday was the final development trial of the missile which is expected to be integrated with INS Arihant soon.
It is said that India is now in the process of developing the K-4 missile which has a range of 3,000 km.
The nation was in the news last year after the successful launch of Agni-V, a solid fueled Inter-continental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) which is capable of reaching deep into Asia and Europe. The indigenously-built missile has a range of more than 5,000 kilometers (3,100 miles).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- Naked Russian Artist Strikes Anew, Cuts Off Earlobes To Protest Return Of Soviet-Era Policies
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand