Inter President: Liverpool Move a Great Opportunity for Young Brazilian
By Vishnuprasad S | January 28, 2013 6:42 PM EST
Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti believes Philippe Coutinho's transfer to Liverpool could be a great opportunity for the Brazil midfielder.
The Reds and the Nerazzurri are understood to have agreed on an £8.5m fee for the 20-year-old and the move is expected to be completed soon. The Italian also feels the deal is one that will satisfy all three parties involved.
"There are opportunities there to be seized. Sometimes certain players need the chance to play more. And that's why I think this could be a great opportunity for a Coutinho, and a deal that could go very well for us too," the Daily Mail quoted Moratti.
Coutinho is a pacey and versatile player, who can operate as an attacking midfielder or out wide on the flanks. However, the youngster has only one senior international cap to his name and Liverpool will need to apply for a work permit to make him available for selection in the Premier League this season.
The Brazilian, who arrived at the Giuseppe Meazza from native outfit Vasco da Gama in 2010, has fallen down Inter boss Andrea Stramaccioni's pecking order this season, making just four starts in all competitions so far and scoring twice. The player spent the second half of last season on loan at Spanish side Espanyol and impressed, netting five goals from 16 La Liga appearances.
Southampton reportedly made an effort to hijack the move last week, with new manager Mauricio Pochettino having already worked with Coutinho at Espanyol. However, the player is understood to have expressed a preference for the Merseyside outfit.
Coutinho is now set to become the Reds' second signing of this window, following the arrival of England forward Daniel Sturridge from Chelsea, earlier in the month.
Meanwhile, Moratti has ruled out a move to bring Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli back to the club. However, the controversial Italy star is expected to return to the city - to the red and black half of Milan. The Sun reports the 22-year-old is likely to make a £17m move to Inter's city rivals, AC Milan.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate