Inter President: Liverpool Move a Great Opportunity for Young Brazilian
By Vishnuprasad S | January 28, 2013 6:42 PM EST
Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti believes Philippe Coutinho's transfer to Liverpool could be a great opportunity for the Brazil midfielder.
The Reds and the Nerazzurri are understood to have agreed on an £8.5m fee for the 20-year-old and the move is expected to be completed soon. The Italian also feels the deal is one that will satisfy all three parties involved.
"There are opportunities there to be seized. Sometimes certain players need the chance to play more. And that's why I think this could be a great opportunity for a Coutinho, and a deal that could go very well for us too," the Daily Mail quoted Moratti.
Coutinho is a pacey and versatile player, who can operate as an attacking midfielder or out wide on the flanks. However, the youngster has only one senior international cap to his name and Liverpool will need to apply for a work permit to make him available for selection in the Premier League this season.
The Brazilian, who arrived at the Giuseppe Meazza from native outfit Vasco da Gama in 2010, has fallen down Inter boss Andrea Stramaccioni's pecking order this season, making just four starts in all competitions so far and scoring twice. The player spent the second half of last season on loan at Spanish side Espanyol and impressed, netting five goals from 16 La Liga appearances.
Southampton reportedly made an effort to hijack the move last week, with new manager Mauricio Pochettino having already worked with Coutinho at Espanyol. However, the player is understood to have expressed a preference for the Merseyside outfit.
Coutinho is now set to become the Reds' second signing of this window, following the arrival of England forward Daniel Sturridge from Chelsea, earlier in the month.
Meanwhile, Moratti has ruled out a move to bring Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli back to the club. However, the controversial Italy star is expected to return to the city - to the red and black half of Milan. The Sun reports the 22-year-old is likely to make a £17m move to Inter's city rivals, AC Milan.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report