Inter President: Liverpool Move a Great Opportunity for Young Brazilian
By Vishnuprasad S | January 28, 2013 6:42 PM EST
Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti believes Philippe Coutinho's transfer to Liverpool could be a great opportunity for the Brazil midfielder.
The Reds and the Nerazzurri are understood to have agreed on an £8.5m fee for the 20-year-old and the move is expected to be completed soon. The Italian also feels the deal is one that will satisfy all three parties involved.
"There are opportunities there to be seized. Sometimes certain players need the chance to play more. And that's why I think this could be a great opportunity for a Coutinho, and a deal that could go very well for us too," the Daily Mail quoted Moratti.
Coutinho is a pacey and versatile player, who can operate as an attacking midfielder or out wide on the flanks. However, the youngster has only one senior international cap to his name and Liverpool will need to apply for a work permit to make him available for selection in the Premier League this season.
The Brazilian, who arrived at the Giuseppe Meazza from native outfit Vasco da Gama in 2010, has fallen down Inter boss Andrea Stramaccioni's pecking order this season, making just four starts in all competitions so far and scoring twice. The player spent the second half of last season on loan at Spanish side Espanyol and impressed, netting five goals from 16 La Liga appearances.
Southampton reportedly made an effort to hijack the move last week, with new manager Mauricio Pochettino having already worked with Coutinho at Espanyol. However, the player is understood to have expressed a preference for the Merseyside outfit.
Coutinho is now set to become the Reds' second signing of this window, following the arrival of England forward Daniel Sturridge from Chelsea, earlier in the month.
Meanwhile, Moratti has ruled out a move to bring Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli back to the club. However, the controversial Italy star is expected to return to the city - to the red and black half of Milan. The Sun reports the 22-year-old is likely to make a £17m move to Inter's city rivals, AC Milan.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group Stage: Puerto Rico vs. Argentina Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: France vs. Serbia Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Manchester United Transfer News: Daley Blind Is 'Not Strong Enough' For The Premier League - Scholes
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How