Inter President: Liverpool Move a Great Opportunity for Young Brazilian
By Vishnuprasad S | January 28, 2013 6:42 PM EST
Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti believes Philippe Coutinho's transfer to Liverpool could be a great opportunity for the Brazil midfielder.
The Reds and the Nerazzurri are understood to have agreed on an £8.5m fee for the 20-year-old and the move is expected to be completed soon. The Italian also feels the deal is one that will satisfy all three parties involved.
"There are opportunities there to be seized. Sometimes certain players need the chance to play more. And that's why I think this could be a great opportunity for a Coutinho, and a deal that could go very well for us too," the Daily Mail quoted Moratti.
Coutinho is a pacey and versatile player, who can operate as an attacking midfielder or out wide on the flanks. However, the youngster has only one senior international cap to his name and Liverpool will need to apply for a work permit to make him available for selection in the Premier League this season.
The Brazilian, who arrived at the Giuseppe Meazza from native outfit Vasco da Gama in 2010, has fallen down Inter boss Andrea Stramaccioni's pecking order this season, making just four starts in all competitions so far and scoring twice. The player spent the second half of last season on loan at Spanish side Espanyol and impressed, netting five goals from 16 La Liga appearances.
Southampton reportedly made an effort to hijack the move last week, with new manager Mauricio Pochettino having already worked with Coutinho at Espanyol. However, the player is understood to have expressed a preference for the Merseyside outfit.
Coutinho is now set to become the Reds' second signing of this window, following the arrival of England forward Daniel Sturridge from Chelsea, earlier in the month.
Meanwhile, Moratti has ruled out a move to bring Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli back to the club. However, the controversial Italy star is expected to return to the city - to the red and black half of Milan. The Sun reports the 22-year-old is likely to make a £17m move to Inter's city rivals, AC Milan.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers