Inter President: Liverpool Move a Great Opportunity for Young Brazilian
By Vishnuprasad S | January 28, 2013 6:42 PM EST
Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti believes Philippe Coutinho's transfer to Liverpool could be a great opportunity for the Brazil midfielder.
The Reds and the Nerazzurri are understood to have agreed on an £8.5m fee for the 20-year-old and the move is expected to be completed soon. The Italian also feels the deal is one that will satisfy all three parties involved.
"There are opportunities there to be seized. Sometimes certain players need the chance to play more. And that's why I think this could be a great opportunity for a Coutinho, and a deal that could go very well for us too," the Daily Mail quoted Moratti.
Coutinho is a pacey and versatile player, who can operate as an attacking midfielder or out wide on the flanks. However, the youngster has only one senior international cap to his name and Liverpool will need to apply for a work permit to make him available for selection in the Premier League this season.
The Brazilian, who arrived at the Giuseppe Meazza from native outfit Vasco da Gama in 2010, has fallen down Inter boss Andrea Stramaccioni's pecking order this season, making just four starts in all competitions so far and scoring twice. The player spent the second half of last season on loan at Spanish side Espanyol and impressed, netting five goals from 16 La Liga appearances.
Southampton reportedly made an effort to hijack the move last week, with new manager Mauricio Pochettino having already worked with Coutinho at Espanyol. However, the player is understood to have expressed a preference for the Merseyside outfit.
Coutinho is now set to become the Reds' second signing of this window, following the arrival of England forward Daniel Sturridge from Chelsea, earlier in the month.
Meanwhile, Moratti has ruled out a move to bring Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli back to the club. However, the controversial Italy star is expected to return to the city - to the red and black half of Milan. The Sun reports the 22-year-old is likely to make a £17m move to Inter's city rivals, AC Milan.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’