Ryanair Lifts Profit Forecast as Passenger Numbers Rise
By Martin Baccardax | January 28, 2013 6:32 PM EST
Ryanair lifted its full-year profit forecast after reporting higher-than-expected passenger growth in its key European markets.
Europe's biggest discount carrier said profits for the year ending in March will likely rise to €540m (£461m; $726m) from a previous range of between €490m and €520m. Its three-month profit for the quarter ending on 31 December rose to €18.1m, the company said, thanks to an 8 percent rise in fares over the holiday period and a 3 percent rise in passenger traffic to 17.3m. Total revenue for the quarter rose 15 percent to €969m.
"Our Q3 profit of €18m was ahead of expectations due to strong pre-Christmas bookings at higher yields," said CEO Michael O'Leary in a statement published with the carrier's results.
"The 8 percent rise in average fares reflects our improved customer service, record punctuality and the successful roll out of our reserved seating service."
Fuel costs rose by €81m, a 24 percent increase that slightly outpaced a 22 percent advance for crude oil prices over the same period. Ancillary revenues rose 24 percent to around €13 per passenger while the average cost per passenger, excluding fuel, hit €27 each.
The group said fourth quarter traffic, however, will fall by around 400,000 passengers, or 3 percent, owing to a reduction in capacity the carrier attributes to higher airport fees at Stansted and Dublin airports.
Ryanair shares fell more than 1.2 percent in early London trading to change hands at €5.43 each. The shares have risen 30 percent over the past year.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones