Ryanair Lifts Profit Forecast as Passenger Numbers Rise
By Martin Baccardax | January 28, 2013 6:32 PM EST
Ryanair lifted its full-year profit forecast after reporting higher-than-expected passenger growth in its key European markets.
Europe's biggest discount carrier said profits for the year ending in March will likely rise to €540m (£461m; $726m) from a previous range of between €490m and €520m. Its three-month profit for the quarter ending on 31 December rose to €18.1m, the company said, thanks to an 8 percent rise in fares over the holiday period and a 3 percent rise in passenger traffic to 17.3m. Total revenue for the quarter rose 15 percent to €969m.
"Our Q3 profit of €18m was ahead of expectations due to strong pre-Christmas bookings at higher yields," said CEO Michael O'Leary in a statement published with the carrier's results.
"The 8 percent rise in average fares reflects our improved customer service, record punctuality and the successful roll out of our reserved seating service."
Fuel costs rose by €81m, a 24 percent increase that slightly outpaced a 22 percent advance for crude oil prices over the same period. Ancillary revenues rose 24 percent to around €13 per passenger while the average cost per passenger, excluding fuel, hit €27 each.
The group said fourth quarter traffic, however, will fall by around 400,000 passengers, or 3 percent, owing to a reduction in capacity the carrier attributes to higher airport fees at Stansted and Dublin airports.
Ryanair shares fell more than 1.2 percent in early London trading to change hands at €5.43 each. The shares have risen 30 percent over the past year.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS