Chelsea to Make Shock Bid for Liverpool Target - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 28, 2013 6:08 PM EST
Chelsea are preparing a £3m move for Birmingham City stopper Jack Butland during the January transfer window, according to the Mirror. The 19-year-old Bristol born goalkeeper has been impressive for the Championship side and has been linked with a move to Liverpool this month.
The report suggests the European champions are looking to sign the young England international and send him on loan so he gets regular playing time. The Blues have the services of Czech and Belgian internationals Petr Cech and Thibaut Courtois for now, although the latter is presently on loan to Spanish side Atletico Madrid and is due back at the end of the season.
Meanwhile, Birmingham are facing financial turmoil and the club is looking to sell players in order to raise funds. Manager Lee Clark has admitted the club could be forced to sell Butland before the end of the January transfer window.
The player's agent, Gary Mellor, has been quoted as suggesting the St Andrew's club should consider lowering the £5m asking price for his client. He explained: "...if they are looking to solve all their financial woes with the Jack deal then it's going to be more difficult."
Should the report be true, it could be a major blow for Courtois. The 20-year-old Belgian is widely regarded as one of the best prospects in his position and has impressed during his loan at the Vicente Calderon.
Courtois has been quoted as saying that if a future at Stamford Bridge was not possible he would prefer to remain with Atletico. The youngster is to hold talks with Chelsea regarding his options and has also been linked to Barcelona, as cover for contract rebel Victor Valdes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories