Chelsea to Make Shock Bid for Liverpool Target - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 28, 2013 6:08 PM EST
Chelsea are preparing a £3m move for Birmingham City stopper Jack Butland during the January transfer window, according to the Mirror. The 19-year-old Bristol born goalkeeper has been impressive for the Championship side and has been linked with a move to Liverpool this month.
The report suggests the European champions are looking to sign the young England international and send him on loan so he gets regular playing time. The Blues have the services of Czech and Belgian internationals Petr Cech and Thibaut Courtois for now, although the latter is presently on loan to Spanish side Atletico Madrid and is due back at the end of the season.
Meanwhile, Birmingham are facing financial turmoil and the club is looking to sell players in order to raise funds. Manager Lee Clark has admitted the club could be forced to sell Butland before the end of the January transfer window.
The player's agent, Gary Mellor, has been quoted as suggesting the St Andrew's club should consider lowering the £5m asking price for his client. He explained: "...if they are looking to solve all their financial woes with the Jack deal then it's going to be more difficult."
Should the report be true, it could be a major blow for Courtois. The 20-year-old Belgian is widely regarded as one of the best prospects in his position and has impressed during his loan at the Vicente Calderon.
Courtois has been quoted as saying that if a future at Stamford Bridge was not possible he would prefer to remain with Atletico. The youngster is to hold talks with Chelsea regarding his options and has also been linked to Barcelona, as cover for contract rebel Victor Valdes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports