Indian FX/Debt Factors to Look for on Jan. 28
January 28, 2013 5:20 PM EST
GLOBAL MARKETS ROUNDUP
* Japanese equities rose on Monday as the yen extended losses to fresh lows, further improving earnings prospects for
exporters as Japan's corporate reporting season enters full swing this week.
* The euro was buoyed near an 11-month high against the dollar on Monday on mounting signs of recovering economic
confidence in Europe, while the yen slipped to a 2-1/2-year low versus the dollar on expectations of more monetary easing in
* Oil traders sold crude to book profits on Friday after strong data from major economies increased optimism about the
state of the world economy and underpinned gains made during the week.
* U.S. Treasuries yields surged to their highest in three weeks on Friday after data showed European banks are repaying
more emergency loans than expected, suggesting the region is healing and reducing demand for safe-haven debt.
LOCAL MARKETS PREVIOUS CLOSE
* BSE index 20,103.53 (+0.90 pct)
* NSE index 6,074.65 (+0.92 pct)
* Rupee 53.68/69 per dollar (53.665/675)
* 10-year bond yield 7.88 pct (7.86 pct)
* 5-year OIS rate 7.14 pct (7.14 pct)
* 1-year OIS rate 7.56 pct (7.55 pct)
* Call money 8.00/8.05 pct (8.00/8.10 pct)
FACTORS TO WATCH
* The Reserve Bank of India will release its macro-economic review for Oct-Dec quarter a day before its quarterly monetary
policy review. The report serves as a curtain raiser to the policy. Report due to be published at 1130 GMT.
* India's plan to raise about $2 billion selling a stake in power producer NTPC Ltd will likely take place on Feb.
7, three sources with direct knowledge of the situation said on Friday.
* The Reserve Bank of India tightened the rules of offering differential interest rates on large size term deposits and also
said banks can stop large depositors from premature withdrawal of their money.
* India's Coromandel International said it has signed a definitive agreement to buy a controlling stake in
fertiliser maker Liberty Phosphate Ltd and two of its affiliates for up to 3.75 billion rupees ($69.84 million) to
strengthen its soil nutrients business.
* Tata Communications launched its debut Singapore dollar-denominated bond on Thursday. The S$250m three-year deal
is the second public issue by an Indian corporate in the Singapore market but the fifth borrowing from an Indian issuer
so far. (IFR)
FII INVESTMENTS-EQUITIES (Net dollars)
Jan. 25* $109.29 mln#
Month-to-date** $3.17 bln
Year-to-date** $3.17 bln
* Provisional NSE data
** Source: Data as per custodial filing as on Jan. 24 on SEBI website.
#(As per Reuters conversion, $1 = 53.70 rupees)
FII INVESTMENTS-DEBT (Net Dollars) *
Jan. 23 $70.40 mln
Month-to-date $326.06 mln
Year-to-date $326.10 mln
* Source: Data as per custodial filing as on Jan. 24 on SEBI website.
GOVERNMENT SECURITIES TRADING (Net buy/sell, in rupees)
Foreign Banks 22.20 bln
Public Sector Banks -2.01 bln
Private Sector Banks -18.11 bln
Mutual Funds 4.80 bln
Others -2.42 bln
Primary Dealers -4.46 bln
Source: Clearing Corp of India Ltd
MONEY MARKET INFLOWS (mln rupees)
Instrument Payment Date Amount
SDL 07.84%, 2018 Interest Jan 28 215.34
SDL 07.85%, 2018 Interest Jan 28 294.38
SDL 07.86%, 2018 Interest Jan 28 179.25
SDL 07.87%, 2018 Interest Jan 28 1042.78
SDL 07.89%, 2018 Interest Jan 28 927.08
SDL 07.90%, 2018 Interest Jan 28 69.92
SDL 07.92%, 2018 Interest Jan 28 198.00
SDL 07.97%, 2018 Interest Jan 28 98.03
SDL 07.98%, 2018 Interest Jan 28 39.90
(JAMMU & KASHMIR)
SDL 08.60%, 2022 Interest Jan 28 150.50
SDL 08.65%, 2022 Interest Jan 28 540.63
SDL 08.66%, 2022 Interest Jan 28 1818.60
SDL 08.67%, 2022 Interest Jan 28 108.38
SDL 08.70%, 2022 Interest Jan 28 600.30
SDL 08.71%, 2022 Interest Jan 28 326.63
SDL 08.72%, 2022 Interest Jan 28 558.52
SDL 08.73%, 2022 Interest Jan 28 654.75
7.17% FRB 2035 Interest Jan 28 125.48
SDL 08.00%, 2017 Interest Jan 28 400.00
SDL 08.04%, 2017 Interest Jan 28 107.39
SDL 8.25%, 2017 Interest Jan 28 50.33
(JAMMU & KASHMIR)
For the entire table click on:
Instrument Amount Date
T-bills 100 bln rupees Jan. 30
* The RBI said on Thursday it accepted all 36 bids for 644 billion rupees at its afternoon four-day repo auction, through
which it injects cash into the banking system. It also accepted the 7bids for 1.8 billion rupees at its reverse repo auction,
through which it absorbs cash from the system.
* Indian banks' refinancing with RBI falls to 203.40 billion rupees.
* Indian banks' cash balances with RBI fall to 2.89 trillion rupees.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- Health Canada Orders Labeling of Mechanically Tenderized Beef Meat
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand Raises Interest Rates Due to 'Unsustainable' Kiwi
- Embattled Malaysia Airlines Could Run Out of Cash 2015; Diverts Plane Over Another War Zone After MH17 Crash
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales