Coal India Sets 2013/14 Production Target at 6% Higher Than Expected
January 28, 2013 4:59 PM EST
Coal India Ltd(COAL.NS), the world's largest coal miner, has finalised a production target of 492 million tonnes for the fiscal year that starts on April 1, about 6 percent higher than the current year's expected production.
The target was finalised in a meeting last week with officials from India's planning commission, Coal India Chairman S Narsing Rao told Reuters.
The state-controlled miner, which produces about 80 percent of India's coal, is under pressure from the government and power producers to ease fuel shortages at home but has struggled for years to raise output due to problems in obtaining environmental and regulatory approval.
Output levels have remained nearly flat for the past two years and it missed its production target last year.
The company is aiming to supply 464 million tonnes of coal this fiscal year ending March, an increase of about 7 percent. The company is fairly close to achieving this target, but performance in the last two months would hold the key, Rao said.
"It is still a tight situation, but the next 66 days can tilt the scales," he said.
So far this year, Coal India has produced 20 million tonnes more compared to the same period last year, but now needs to push up production by another 9 million tones in the remaining period.
India produced 240.32 million tonnes of coal in the first half of the current fiscal year, up 8.2 percent from a year earlier, figures provided by a government official showed.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year