BaFin probes lenders Deutsche Bank over Euribor - paper
January 28, 2013 4:49 PM EST
German regulator BaFin has launched a special probe against four lenders including Deutsche Bank
A special probe is the most severe kind of investigation the regulator can launch against a bank.
The German regulator is also investigating Portigon AG
Officials at Deutsche Bank and BaFin were not available for comment. Portigon officials were also not available for comment.
The special probes were launched after BaFin had asked for information from all German banks involved in setting Euribor rates, Sueddeutsche said.
Euribor and its larger counterpart, Libor, or the London Interbank Offered Rate, are Europe's key gauges of how much banks pay to borrow from their peers and are used to set the prices of swathes of financial products, from Spanish home mortgages to more complex derivatives.
Deutsche Bank is already being subjected to a BaFin special probe in connection with Libor.
Deutsche Bank has said it is cooperating with investigations in the United States and Europe in connection with setting rates between 2005 and 2011.
In July, Reuters reported that several banks under investigation for suspected rigging of Euribor intensified cooperation with EU antitrust regulators in the hope of lower fines.
Earlier this month German bank BayernLB
More than 40 banks still contribute to the Euribor inter-bank lending rate, but the Euribor-EBF group running it warned recently that more could leave following recent bad publicity.
The daily Libor poll asks banks at what rate they think they will be able to borrow money from each other in 10 major currencies and for 15 borrowing periods ranging from overnight loans to 12 months.
As the credit crisis intensified between 2006 and 2008, allegations started mounting that Libor no longer reflected the real cost banks were paying for funds. Authorities have been examining whether traders tried to influence the rate to profit on bets on the direction it would go.
(Reporting By Edward Taylor; Editing by Matt Driskill)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans