India's Republic Day Celebrated at Permanent Mission
January 28, 2013 4:34 PM EST
Ambassador Hardeep Singh Puri, Permanent Representative of India to UN unfurled the national tricolor at the Permanent Mission premises and read out salient excerpts from the President of India's address to the nation.
More than 150 guests, including prominent members of the Indian American community, senior Indian officials of the United Nations, Indian Army and Police officers on deputation to the UN, in addition to officials from Permanent Mission of India and the Consulate General of India, New York and their families, attended the ceremony. Ambassador Vijay Nambiar, the special adviser on Myanmar to the U.N. Secretary-General also graced the occasion.
Following the unfurling of the national flag, there was a rendition of the national anthem by all members of the Indian community and officials.
Earlier, on Friday, a national day reception was also hosted at the PMI premises, which witnessed an impressive turn out of more than 300 plus members of diplomatic corps based at the United Nations, along with key legislators from New York, eminent members of the legal fraternity, in addition to several Permanent Representatives of member states accredited to the UN. (GIN - AmericanBazaarOnline.com)
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting New York City: UFO Expert Explains Black UFO Spotted Over The Statue Of Liberty [WATCH VIDEO]
- ISIS Blasts 'Scorpion Bombs' At Civilian Areas In Iraq; Mosul Residents Living In Fear
- Sydney Siege Aftermath: Australia Remains On Alert For 'Lone Wolf' Attacks, 2 Men Arrested In Sydney
- Fans React On Report That Pregnant Kate Middleton Tries To Avoid Prince William's Friends
- Sydney Siege Aftermath: Australia's Gun Laws May Be Under Review