Sensex Likely to Gain on Monday Amid Upbeat China data
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 28, 2013 3:02 PM EST
Profits earned by China's industrial companies surged in December, indicating an improvement in the economic condition of the worlds’ second largest economy. According to data released on Monday by the National Bureau of Statistics of China, the net income of industrial companies in the country rose 17.3 percent in December compared to the same month of the previous year following an increase of 22.8 percent in November.
On Monday, Hong Kong's Hang Seng gained 0.60 percent, or 141.61 points, to 23722.04. Among major gainers were Swire Pacific Ltd (0.55 percent) and HSBC Holdings plc (0.90 percent).
On Friday, the US stocks gained as investor confidence was lifted amid encouraging earnings reports from corporates. Procter & Gamble Co (NYSE:PG) reported that the company’s net earnings rose to $4.06 billion or $1.39 per share in the second quarter, up from $1.69 billion or $0.57 per share in the same period the earlier year. The consumer goods giant also raised its outlook for revenue growth for the fiscal year 2013.
Honeywell International Inc. (NYSE:HON) ) reported that the company’s net income rose to $251 million or $0.32 per share in the fourth quarter, up from a net loss of $310 million or $0.40 per share in the same period the earlier year.
Meanwhile, according to data released on Friday by the Census Bureau, a new home sales report, which measures the annualized number of new single-family homes that were sold during the previous month, dropped to 369,000 in December, from 398,000 in November.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.51 percent, the S&P 500 Index was up 0.54 percent and the Nasdaq Composite Index gained 0.62 percent.
European markets rose on Friday amid upbeat economic reports from the US showing signs of revival of growth in the world’s largest economy. London's FTSE 100 was up 19.54 points, Germany's DAX 30 index rose 109.84 points and France's CAC 40 gained 25.99 points.
On Friday, the Sensex gained 179.75 points to close at 20103.53. The overall market breadth was positive with 1663 advances against 1214 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index rose 1.83 percent to 6974.23 and Smallcap Index gained 1.03 percent to 7142.71.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy
- Ebola Divides The US: More States Begin Applying Stricter Guidelines Than What CDC Imposed
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight