GM adding third shift, 2630 jobs at Brazil complex - company
January 28, 2013 8:56 AM EST
General Motors Co
GM will add the shift at the Gravataí Industrial Complex, in the south of Brazil, where it makes the Chevrolet Celta and Onix, according to the company.
The move, reported earlier on Sunday by Bloomberg, will create 1,450 new jobs at the plant and another 1,000 at suppliers located at the same facility. The company will create another 180 jobs at a new powertrain plaint.
GM announced the move just after it averted a strike at another Brazilian complex. The company, late Saturday, reached an accord with metalworkers at its Sao Jose dos Campos facility, near the city of Sao Paulo.
The company's plan for the Gravataí plant includes expanding capacity from 230,000 to 380,000 vehicles per year at the Gravataí plant. It is unclear when GM will add the shift.
(Reporting By Suzanne Barlyn; Editing by Bernard Orr)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports