Boston Celtics Rajon Rondo Done For Season: Who Does Doc Rivers Turn To After Point Guard’s Torn ACL? D-League, Free Agency, Trade?
January 28, 2013 7:42 AM EST
Already mired in a difficult losing streak, the Boston Celtics were dealt a crushing blow Sunday afternoon.
All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo has been ruled out for the rest of the season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, according to several reports.
Currently eighth in the Western Conference, the loss of Rondo may only worsen a difficult season for the Celtics. Before the injury, the 26-year-old Rondo was notching 13.7 points and leading the league in assists with 11.1 per game.
Boston head coach Doc Rivers will be forced to rely on his veteran guards, though none can be expected to produce like Rondo. Next up on Boston’s depth chart is Leandro Barbosa, but Rivers opted to start guard Courtney Lee Sunday against the Miami Heat.
Most often used as a scorer, Lee is currently averaging 22.7 minutes per game, and hasn’t been a regular starter on any team since 2010 when he was with the New Jersey Nets.
Rivers could turn to 35-year-old Jason Terry, but he is having a down year, averaging just 9.8 points and 42.6 percent shooting since he left the Dallas Mavericks. Guard Avery Bradley is Boston’s best perimeter defender, and it would be unlikely for Rivers to ask him to run the offense.
Team general manager Danny Ainge could turn to the Celtics D-League affiliate, the Maine Red Claws. Veteran guard Andre Barrett is averaging 8.2 points and 11.2 assists in six games this season, and has four years of NBA experience.
Boston has reportedly been in the trade market for a big man, but were also tied to Orlando Magic guard J.J. Redick. Rondo’s injury could accelerate talks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools