Boston Celtics Rajon Rondo Done For Season: Who Does Doc Rivers Turn To After Point Guard’s Torn ACL? D-League, Free Agency, Trade?
January 28, 2013 7:42 AM EST
Already mired in a difficult losing streak, the Boston Celtics were dealt a crushing blow Sunday afternoon.
All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo has been ruled out for the rest of the season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, according to several reports.
Currently eighth in the Western Conference, the loss of Rondo may only worsen a difficult season for the Celtics. Before the injury, the 26-year-old Rondo was notching 13.7 points and leading the league in assists with 11.1 per game.
Boston head coach Doc Rivers will be forced to rely on his veteran guards, though none can be expected to produce like Rondo. Next up on Boston’s depth chart is Leandro Barbosa, but Rivers opted to start guard Courtney Lee Sunday against the Miami Heat.
Most often used as a scorer, Lee is currently averaging 22.7 minutes per game, and hasn’t been a regular starter on any team since 2010 when he was with the New Jersey Nets.
Rivers could turn to 35-year-old Jason Terry, but he is having a down year, averaging just 9.8 points and 42.6 percent shooting since he left the Dallas Mavericks. Guard Avery Bradley is Boston’s best perimeter defender, and it would be unlikely for Rivers to ask him to run the offense.
Team general manager Danny Ainge could turn to the Celtics D-League affiliate, the Maine Red Claws. Veteran guard Andre Barrett is averaging 8.2 points and 11.2 assists in six games this season, and has four years of NBA experience.
Boston has reportedly been in the trade market for a big man, but were also tied to Orlando Magic guard J.J. Redick. Rondo’s injury could accelerate talks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners