Boston Celtics Rajon Rondo Done For Season: Who Does Doc Rivers Turn To After Point Guard’s Torn ACL? D-League, Free Agency, Trade?
January 28, 2013 7:42 AM EST
Already mired in a difficult losing streak, the Boston Celtics were dealt a crushing blow Sunday afternoon.
All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo has been ruled out for the rest of the season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, according to several reports.
Currently eighth in the Western Conference, the loss of Rondo may only worsen a difficult season for the Celtics. Before the injury, the 26-year-old Rondo was notching 13.7 points and leading the league in assists with 11.1 per game.
Boston head coach Doc Rivers will be forced to rely on his veteran guards, though none can be expected to produce like Rondo. Next up on Boston’s depth chart is Leandro Barbosa, but Rivers opted to start guard Courtney Lee Sunday against the Miami Heat.
Most often used as a scorer, Lee is currently averaging 22.7 minutes per game, and hasn’t been a regular starter on any team since 2010 when he was with the New Jersey Nets.
Rivers could turn to 35-year-old Jason Terry, but he is having a down year, averaging just 9.8 points and 42.6 percent shooting since he left the Dallas Mavericks. Guard Avery Bradley is Boston’s best perimeter defender, and it would be unlikely for Rivers to ask him to run the offense.
Team general manager Danny Ainge could turn to the Celtics D-League affiliate, the Maine Red Claws. Veteran guard Andre Barrett is averaging 8.2 points and 11.2 assists in six games this season, and has four years of NBA experience.
Boston has reportedly been in the trade market for a big man, but were also tied to Orlando Magic guard J.J. Redick. Rondo’s injury could accelerate talks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories