Boston Celtics Rajon Rondo Done For Season: Who Does Doc Rivers Turn To After Point Guard’s Torn ACL? D-League, Free Agency, Trade?
January 28, 2013 7:42 AM EST
Already mired in a difficult losing streak, the Boston Celtics were dealt a crushing blow Sunday afternoon.
All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo has been ruled out for the rest of the season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, according to several reports.
Currently eighth in the Western Conference, the loss of Rondo may only worsen a difficult season for the Celtics. Before the injury, the 26-year-old Rondo was notching 13.7 points and leading the league in assists with 11.1 per game.
Boston head coach Doc Rivers will be forced to rely on his veteran guards, though none can be expected to produce like Rondo. Next up on Boston’s depth chart is Leandro Barbosa, but Rivers opted to start guard Courtney Lee Sunday against the Miami Heat.
Most often used as a scorer, Lee is currently averaging 22.7 minutes per game, and hasn’t been a regular starter on any team since 2010 when he was with the New Jersey Nets.
Rivers could turn to 35-year-old Jason Terry, but he is having a down year, averaging just 9.8 points and 42.6 percent shooting since he left the Dallas Mavericks. Guard Avery Bradley is Boston’s best perimeter defender, and it would be unlikely for Rivers to ask him to run the offense.
Team general manager Danny Ainge could turn to the Celtics D-League affiliate, the Maine Red Claws. Veteran guard Andre Barrett is averaging 8.2 points and 11.2 assists in six games this season, and has four years of NBA experience.
Boston has reportedly been in the trade market for a big man, but were also tied to Orlando Magic guard J.J. Redick. Rondo’s injury could accelerate talks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet