UK Women Inject Fat to Look Like Kim Kardashian
By Fiona Keating | January 28, 2013 4:45 AM EST
Figures from the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPS) reveal that the number of women having fat transfer procedures rose by 13 percent to 2,641 in 2012, overtaking the number of liposuction operations (2,638) for the first time.
Cosmetic surgeons say women are wanting to boost their curves and rejuvenate saggy areas by having their own fat removed from one area and transferred into another - most commonly from flabby areas like the thighs to their bottoms, breasts and face.
"Fat transfer has been around for 70 years, but the techniques have got much better," Michael Cadier, BAAPS President-Elect told the Daily Mail.
"It can be used around the whole body. We do occasionally get patients who have their bottoms enlarged in this way.
"In my experience, they want to enhance their contours rather than get a massive bottom to mimic the US trend, but we do get people enquiring about that."
The association's surgeons also say scandals over defective PIP breast implants and controversy over fillers such as Botox are prompting women to seek options that use the body's own fat supplies.
Thousands of women have had the faulty PIP implants removed after it was found they could leak industrial-grade silicon into the body.
BAAPS' figures show a fall in the number of women seeking breast-enlargement surgery in the past year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June