UK Women Inject Fat to Look Like Kim Kardashian
By Fiona Keating | January 28, 2013 4:45 AM EST
Figures from the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPS) reveal that the number of women having fat transfer procedures rose by 13 percent to 2,641 in 2012, overtaking the number of liposuction operations (2,638) for the first time.
Cosmetic surgeons say women are wanting to boost their curves and rejuvenate saggy areas by having their own fat removed from one area and transferred into another - most commonly from flabby areas like the thighs to their bottoms, breasts and face.
"Fat transfer has been around for 70 years, but the techniques have got much better," Michael Cadier, BAAPS President-Elect told the Daily Mail.
"It can be used around the whole body. We do occasionally get patients who have their bottoms enlarged in this way.
"In my experience, they want to enhance their contours rather than get a massive bottom to mimic the US trend, but we do get people enquiring about that."
The association's surgeons also say scandals over defective PIP breast implants and controversy over fillers such as Botox are prompting women to seek options that use the body's own fat supplies.
Thousands of women have had the faulty PIP implants removed after it was found they could leak industrial-grade silicon into the body.
BAAPS' figures show a fall in the number of women seeking breast-enlargement surgery in the past year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar