Los Angeles Lakers Vs. Oklahoma City Thunder Where And How To Watch Live, Preview, Betting Odds, Prediction
January 28, 2013 4:31 AM EST
There’s a new power in the NBA and it’s the Oklahoma City Thunder.
Oklahoma City can strut into Staples Center Sunday and take advantage of the fallen Los Angeles Lakers, and possibly put a fork in L.A.’s diminishing playoff chances.
The game will also feature four All-Stars in L.A’s Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard, and the Thunder’s Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook.
Coverage begins at 3:30 p.m. eastern time and will be broadcast by ABC.
Oklahoma City has youth, speed, power, and a team unity that the 18-25 Lakers are sorely missing. Los Angeles spelled a four game losing streak with a 102-84 victory over the Utah Jazz Friday, but have gone 3-10 in January.
L.A. might have put together their most complete team game this season against the Jazz, with five Lakers scoring in double figures, and Bryant didn’t have to carry the offense for long stretches like he’s done for most of the year.
Metta World Peace shot 5-for-11 from three-point range, recording 17 pints and five rebounds, while center Dwight Howard also scored 17 points and pulled down 13 boards.
A porous defense, especially along the perimeter, has been one of the Lakers biggest issues this season, and they are on the verge of missing the playoffs for the first time since the 2005. Head coach Mike D’Antoni has gone 13-20 since taking over for the fired Mike Brown earlier this season.
The 34-10 Thunder are perched atop the Western Conference, and sport the league’s best offense, pumping in 105.9 points per game. Still Oklahoma City has gone 2-2 in their last four games, but toppled the Sacramento Kings 105-95 on Friday.
Durant notched 24 points and 11 rebounds, while guard Kevin Martin came off the bench to score 24 points, including four three-pointers.
Many believed the Thunder deserved one more All-Star berth for center Serge Ibaka. Currently second in the league with 2.8 blocks per game, Ibaka is also notching 14 points and 8.3 rebounds.
Betting Odds: Oklahoma City is favored by 3.5 points
Over/Under: 206 points
Prediction: The Thunder should overpower a weak L.A. interior defense, with Durant and Westbrook leading the way. Bryant and Howard will get their points, but the rest of the Lakers will struggle throughout.
Predicted Score: Oklahoma City 110, Los Angeles 97
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists