Starbucks says no plan to freeze UK investment
January 28, 2013 4:21 AM EST
The world's biggest coffee chain Starbucks Corp
"Starbucks remains fully committed to opening 300 new stores and creating 5,000 new jobs by 2016," the company said in a statement on Sunday.
"We do not discuss the details of our Government meetings, but can say that we do not recognise how it has been reported."
The Sunday Telegraph said the Seattle-based coffee chain had demanded talks with British officials last week after Prime Minister David Cameron warned tax-avoiding firms to "wake up and smell the coffee" - seen as a reference to Starbucks.
Starbucks threatened to put on hold plans announced last year to invest 100 million pounds in new British branches, the paper said, citing unnamed sources close to the company.
Last year, Starbucks was caught up in a consumer backlash against legal techniques used by companies to cut their tax bills after Reuters revealed it had booked no profit and paid no tax in Britain for three years, despite telling investors its British arm was profitable.
The company has since bowed to public pressure and is expected to pay about 20 million pounds in British corporation tax over the next two years.
(Reporting by Myles Neligan; Editing by Alison Birrane)
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown