Holocaust Remembrance Day Mourns Genocide Victims
By Tom Porter | January 27, 2013 11:38 PM EST
Thousands will gather today to remember the victims of the Nazi genocide against the Jews and mark Holocaust Remembrance Day.
Candles will be lit in London and at the National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire to mark the anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz death camp by Soviet troops in 1945.
It is estimated that 8 million people were killed in the Holocaust. Most were Jews, but gypsies, homosexuals and disabled people were also murdered.
Survivors of the Holocaust will be joined by religious leaders and other dignitaries at the London ceremonies, with smaller events taking place throughout the country.
Victims of other genocides in places such as Rwanda are also remembered as part of the event, which was created by the government in 2001.
Karen Pollock, of the Holocaust Educational Trust, said: "What's important about today is it's an opportunity for us to remember the victims of the Holocaust and also pay tribute to those who survived.
"And to make sure that we're aware that the Holocaust if you like, is where racism and prejudice ultimately lead and so I suppose it's also a warning for us to be vigilant."
Liberal Democrat MP David Ward has apologised for widely criticised comments he made on his blog in which he allegedly compared the treatment of the Palestinians by the Israelis, to the treatment of Jews in the Holocaust.
After apologising for causing "unintended offence", he said he would "continue to make criticisms of actions in Palestine in the strongest possible terms for as long as Israel continues to oppress the Palestinian people".
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans