Holocaust Remembrance Day Mourns Genocide Victims
By Tom Porter | January 27, 2013 11:38 PM EST
Thousands will gather today to remember the victims of the Nazi genocide against the Jews and mark Holocaust Remembrance Day.
Candles will be lit in London and at the National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire to mark the anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz death camp by Soviet troops in 1945.
It is estimated that 8 million people were killed in the Holocaust. Most were Jews, but gypsies, homosexuals and disabled people were also murdered.
Survivors of the Holocaust will be joined by religious leaders and other dignitaries at the London ceremonies, with smaller events taking place throughout the country.
Victims of other genocides in places such as Rwanda are also remembered as part of the event, which was created by the government in 2001.
Karen Pollock, of the Holocaust Educational Trust, said: "What's important about today is it's an opportunity for us to remember the victims of the Holocaust and also pay tribute to those who survived.
"And to make sure that we're aware that the Holocaust if you like, is where racism and prejudice ultimately lead and so I suppose it's also a warning for us to be vigilant."
Liberal Democrat MP David Ward has apologised for widely criticised comments he made on his blog in which he allegedly compared the treatment of the Palestinians by the Israelis, to the treatment of Jews in the Holocaust.
After apologising for causing "unintended offence", he said he would "continue to make criticisms of actions in Palestine in the strongest possible terms for as long as Israel continues to oppress the Palestinian people".
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal