Holocaust Remembrance Day Mourns Genocide Victims
By Tom Porter | January 27, 2013 11:38 PM EST
Thousands will gather today to remember the victims of the Nazi genocide against the Jews and mark Holocaust Remembrance Day.
Candles will be lit in London and at the National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire to mark the anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz death camp by Soviet troops in 1945.
It is estimated that 8 million people were killed in the Holocaust. Most were Jews, but gypsies, homosexuals and disabled people were also murdered.
Survivors of the Holocaust will be joined by religious leaders and other dignitaries at the London ceremonies, with smaller events taking place throughout the country.
Victims of other genocides in places such as Rwanda are also remembered as part of the event, which was created by the government in 2001.
Karen Pollock, of the Holocaust Educational Trust, said: "What's important about today is it's an opportunity for us to remember the victims of the Holocaust and also pay tribute to those who survived.
"And to make sure that we're aware that the Holocaust if you like, is where racism and prejudice ultimately lead and so I suppose it's also a warning for us to be vigilant."
Liberal Democrat MP David Ward has apologised for widely criticised comments he made on his blog in which he allegedly compared the treatment of the Palestinians by the Israelis, to the treatment of Jews in the Holocaust.
After apologising for causing "unintended offence", he said he would "continue to make criticisms of actions in Palestine in the strongest possible terms for as long as Israel continues to oppress the Palestinian people".
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- British Teenager Wants Her Leg Cut To be Able To Compete At Paralympics – Watch Video
- Pope Francis, Catholic Church Key To Climate Change Effort
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border