Czech Republic Elects New President
By Tom Porter | January 27, 2013 11:15 PM EST
A left-wing former prime minister has become the Czech Republic's first directly elected president.
Milos Zeman, a 68-year-old who ran on a platform of closer integration with the EU, beat foreign minister Karel Schwarzenberg by 54.8 percent to 45.2 percent of the popular vote, results showed on Saturday 26 January.
Economist Zeman, who was a communist party member before the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1968, has pledged to strengthen the country's ties with the EU following the presidency of Vaclev Klaus, who pulled the country to the fringes of the bloc.
The result comes after an often rancorous election, in which Zeman was attacked for his ties with Russia, while burly populist Zeman responded by associating his rival with unpopular spending cuts and austerity measures.
"I want to be president of the bottom 10 million. These include voters of Milos Zeman as well as Karel Schwarzenberg. I do not want to be president of mafias that act as parasites on this society," Zeman said.
The president was previously elected by the government, but a culture of backroom deal making lead to demands for direct elections, which were granted when the constitution was amended last year.
In the Czech Republic the president is not closely involved in day-to-day politics, but chooses senior members of the judiciary, the central bank and the civil service, and also represents the country abroad.
Zeman served as Social Democrat prime minister from 1998-2002, in coalition with outgoing president Vaclev Klaus.
During his term he boosted foreign investment in the country and privatised its banks, measures which paved the way for the country to join the EU in 2004.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports