Arsenal Given Boost in Defensive Midfielder Chase - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 27, 2013 10:13 PM EST
West Ham United midfielder Mohamed Diame is close to joining Arsenal this month. The Daily Mail reports the Senegalese international fought with manager Sam Allardyce following a crushing 1-5 defeat to the Gunners in the Premier League.
The ex-Bolton boss called an early morning meeting to discuss the Arsenal game and Diame reported an hour late, infuriating Allardyce. The two are believed to have had an argument, with Diame later confiding to friends that he wants to move to north London.
The Gunners have been strongly linked with the 25-year-old this season and were reportedly close to triggering the £3.5m release clause in his contract.
Earlier comments by Diame suggested the African was content to remain at Upton Park but if the Daily Mail's report is true, he may well be on the move earlier than expected.
Diame's see-sawing between a move to the Emirates and remaining with West Ham for this season is likely to complicate matters for Wenger. The Frenchman is expected to add to the first team to challenge for a Champions League position and by his own admission needs time to identify and negotiate incoming transfers, particularly in mid-season windows. The decision on Diame will have to be taken quickly, in order to push through at least one signing in this window. Otherwise, Wenger will have to risk more criticism from fans who believe the club needs to sign more players to be truly competitive.
The club has yet to find a replacement for Cameroon midfielder Alex Song, who joined Barcelona in the summer, leaving them to rely on injury-prone French international Abou Diaby. Mikel Arteta has been fielded in the holding midfielder role, which is not the Spaniard's best position and the lack of defensive cover in the midfield does force more creative players like Jack Wilshere and Santi Cazorla to track back more often than is ideal.
Wenger will likely face competition from local rivals Tottenham if he decides to pursue Diame, with Spurs believed to want him to replace Brazilian Sandro, whose injury has ruled him out for the season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James