UK Weather Chaos: Floods Predicted Across Country
By Tom Porter | January 27, 2013 9:49 PM EST
Flooding is expected across the United Kingdom on Sunday 27 January as ice thaws and heavy rainfall is forecast.
Over Saturday night flooding hit Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire in Wales as well as parts of Dorset.
In Norfolk, police have closed roads flooded by melting ice and snow.
The Met Office has now issued 53 flood warnings and 298 flood alerts in England and Wales, and seven in Scotland, and the number has been steadily rising.
The warnings come after freezing temperatures that blanketed much of the country in snow have started to rise, with the temperature forecast to reach 12C on Sunday 27 January.
Heavy rain is expected over the coming week, with blustery showers and sunny spells forecast.
Over Saturday night heavy rain fell in Cumbria and Scotland, while central and south-west England are expected to see about an inch of rainfall on Sunday, with the rest of the country expecting about half an inch.
The flood warnings are in place in East Anglia, south-west England, the Midlands, north-east England, north-west England and Wales.
The seven flood warnings issued by the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (Sepa) include the Scottish Borders, Whitesands in Dumfries and Galloway and parts of central Scotland.
Chris Burton, a forecaster for MeteoGroup, the weather division of the Press Association, said: "The rain started falling overnight in the west and will move east across all areas of the UK, with at least half-an-inch falling in most areas.
"The worst affected areas will be Wales and the south west.
"We have had some reports of flooding in south Wales which have had heavy downpours.
"There is also likely to have been some in north England and the Midlands where there is a large amount of snow melting.
"But from mid-morning the rain should lift and it should remain largely dry, with some scattered showers."
On Friday night snow and ice closed a stretch of the M6 near Wigan, stranding motorists in their vehicles.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine