UK Weather Chaos: Floods Predicted Across Country
By Tom Porter | January 27, 2013 9:49 PM EST
Flooding is expected across the United Kingdom on Sunday 27 January as ice thaws and heavy rainfall is forecast.
Over Saturday night flooding hit Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire in Wales as well as parts of Dorset.
In Norfolk, police have closed roads flooded by melting ice and snow.
The Met Office has now issued 53 flood warnings and 298 flood alerts in England and Wales, and seven in Scotland, and the number has been steadily rising.
The warnings come after freezing temperatures that blanketed much of the country in snow have started to rise, with the temperature forecast to reach 12C on Sunday 27 January.
Heavy rain is expected over the coming week, with blustery showers and sunny spells forecast.
Over Saturday night heavy rain fell in Cumbria and Scotland, while central and south-west England are expected to see about an inch of rainfall on Sunday, with the rest of the country expecting about half an inch.
The flood warnings are in place in East Anglia, south-west England, the Midlands, north-east England, north-west England and Wales.
The seven flood warnings issued by the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (Sepa) include the Scottish Borders, Whitesands in Dumfries and Galloway and parts of central Scotland.
Chris Burton, a forecaster for MeteoGroup, the weather division of the Press Association, said: "The rain started falling overnight in the west and will move east across all areas of the UK, with at least half-an-inch falling in most areas.
"The worst affected areas will be Wales and the south west.
"We have had some reports of flooding in south Wales which have had heavy downpours.
"There is also likely to have been some in north England and the Midlands where there is a large amount of snow melting.
"But from mid-morning the rain should lift and it should remain largely dry, with some scattered showers."
On Friday night snow and ice closed a stretch of the M6 near Wigan, stranding motorists in their vehicles.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Australian Woman Charged for Adultery in Lebanon for Visiting Boyfriend
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- Humans at Their Worst: MH17 Victims' Credit Cards Used in Ukraine, Phones 'Answered' by Strangers
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales