Wenger Admits Arsenal Need a Striker, Responds to Jovetic Rumours
By Vishnuprasad S | January 27, 2013 9:05 PM EST
Arsene Wenger has revealed Arsenal would like to bring in a new striker before the end of this transfer window.
The Gunners have netted eight times in their last two matches but have no cover for forwards Olivier Giroud and Theo Walcott. Gervinho is with the Ivory Coast squad in South Africa, while back-up strikers Marouane Chamakh, Nicklas Bendtner and Park Chu-Young are out on loan at West Ham United, Juventus and Celta Vigo respectively.
Wenger feels the current Arsenal side possesses enough quality but would like to add an extra frontman to his ranks in January, in order to keep his side in the race for a Champions League spot.
When asked if he needs another striker, Wenger explained: "Quality-wise no, number-wise, we could be a bit short maybe. Gervinho is not here at the moment. We have Walcott, who can play through the middle and then of course Giroud. You do not find them (forwards) in the street, the strikers that can play for us and strengthen our team. It's difficult in January."
Recent speculation has linked the north London club with Fiorentina forward Stevan Jovetic but the French tactician stressed they have not made an offer or enquiry for the Montenegrin.
"I cannot promise we will sign anybody today, tomorrow, Tuesday or on Wednesday because at the moment we are not close to anything. It is not about optimism. How realistic I am is most important," the Daily Mirror quoted the 63-year-old as saying.
Wenger Hails Giroud
Wenger also showered praise on Giroud, who scored a brace each against West Ham United and Brighton & Hove Albion this week.
"It's good for his confidence. He's scored four goals this week and he had a few more chances. He gets there. He has a presence in the box, he's dangerous and his physical presence was very important [against Brighton]," the manager said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]