Wenger Admits Arsenal Need a Striker, Responds to Jovetic Rumours
By Vishnuprasad S | January 27, 2013 9:05 PM EST
Arsene Wenger has revealed Arsenal would like to bring in a new striker before the end of this transfer window.
The Gunners have netted eight times in their last two matches but have no cover for forwards Olivier Giroud and Theo Walcott. Gervinho is with the Ivory Coast squad in South Africa, while back-up strikers Marouane Chamakh, Nicklas Bendtner and Park Chu-Young are out on loan at West Ham United, Juventus and Celta Vigo respectively.
Wenger feels the current Arsenal side possesses enough quality but would like to add an extra frontman to his ranks in January, in order to keep his side in the race for a Champions League spot.
When asked if he needs another striker, Wenger explained: "Quality-wise no, number-wise, we could be a bit short maybe. Gervinho is not here at the moment. We have Walcott, who can play through the middle and then of course Giroud. You do not find them (forwards) in the street, the strikers that can play for us and strengthen our team. It's difficult in January."
Recent speculation has linked the north London club with Fiorentina forward Stevan Jovetic but the French tactician stressed they have not made an offer or enquiry for the Montenegrin.
"I cannot promise we will sign anybody today, tomorrow, Tuesday or on Wednesday because at the moment we are not close to anything. It is not about optimism. How realistic I am is most important," the Daily Mirror quoted the 63-year-old as saying.
Wenger Hails Giroud
Wenger also showered praise on Giroud, who scored a brace each against West Ham United and Brighton & Hove Albion this week.
"It's good for his confidence. He's scored four goals this week and he had a few more chances. He gets there. He has a presence in the box, he's dangerous and his physical presence was very important [against Brighton]," the manager said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- Xiaomi Mi4 v. Moto X (2014) – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown