‘Vishwaroopam’ Controversy: Kamal Haasan’s Film Banned in Malaysia
January 27, 2013 8:24 PM EST
After facing a ban in India, Kamal Haasan's film "Vishwaroopam" was reportedly removed from theaters in Malaysia a day after its release. Malaysian Home Ministry has stopped the screening of the controversial film, angering Kamal's large fan-base in the country.
Film Distribution Company Lotus Fivestar AV's director R. Ramalingam told PTI that the ministry asked him to stop the screening of the film on Friday. The film was released on Thursday and opened to packed houses.
"We will refund those who purchased tickets through advance bookings, or allow them to use it for other films," the company's director Datuk R. Ramalingam told The Star.
The ban was issued following a controversy surrounding the movie. Muslim organisations in Tamil Nadu said that the film portrayed their community in a negative light. The screening of the film was also stopped in Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka.
The Telugu version of the film was released in Andhra Pradesh, except in the state capital.
The Tamil Nadu government banned the movie for two weeks. A special screening was organised for the judges of the Madras High Court who will deliver their verdict on Monday.
Meanwhile, Kamal has received enormous support from the film fraternity following the controversy.
The actor was backed by southern superstar Rajinikanth who urged his "Muslim brothers" to end the impasse through talks.
"The fact that Kamal Haasan held a special screening of the movie to Muslim brothers meeting their demand despite being cleared by the Censor Board shows his respect for the community," Rajinikant said in a statement.
"Kamal is not an ordinary artiste. He is a great artiste who had taken Tamil cinema to the global level. I request my Muslim brothers to factor in this and change their stand of demanding for a complete ban."
"I request them to help him in releasing the film by having talks with him upon his return (from the US) and by making corrections to the film without affecting its storyline," he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7'—5 Villains To Feature In The Movie, According To Reported Leaks [Spoilers]
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett, NYPD To Discover The Real Rick Castle
- 'Under The Dome' Season 2 Finale Spoilers: An Exit Route Appears But Not Everyone Gets Out Alive, 'Under The Dome' Season 3 Update [VIDEO]
- Bruce Jenner Sex Change Reports Resurface As He Shaves His Leg, Behaves Feminine Inside A Coffee Shop
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4