‘Vishwaroopam’ Controversy: Kamal Haasan’s Film Banned in Malaysia
January 27, 2013 8:24 PM EST
After facing a ban in India, Kamal Haasan's film "Vishwaroopam" was reportedly removed from theaters in Malaysia a day after its release. Malaysian Home Ministry has stopped the screening of the controversial film, angering Kamal's large fan-base in the country.
Film Distribution Company Lotus Fivestar AV's director R. Ramalingam told PTI that the ministry asked him to stop the screening of the film on Friday. The film was released on Thursday and opened to packed houses.
"We will refund those who purchased tickets through advance bookings, or allow them to use it for other films," the company's director Datuk R. Ramalingam told The Star.
The ban was issued following a controversy surrounding the movie. Muslim organisations in Tamil Nadu said that the film portrayed their community in a negative light. The screening of the film was also stopped in Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka.
The Telugu version of the film was released in Andhra Pradesh, except in the state capital.
The Tamil Nadu government banned the movie for two weeks. A special screening was organised for the judges of the Madras High Court who will deliver their verdict on Monday.
Meanwhile, Kamal has received enormous support from the film fraternity following the controversy.
The actor was backed by southern superstar Rajinikanth who urged his "Muslim brothers" to end the impasse through talks.
"The fact that Kamal Haasan held a special screening of the movie to Muslim brothers meeting their demand despite being cleared by the Censor Board shows his respect for the community," Rajinikant said in a statement.
"Kamal is not an ordinary artiste. He is a great artiste who had taken Tamil cinema to the global level. I request my Muslim brothers to factor in this and change their stand of demanding for a complete ban."
"I request them to help him in releasing the film by having talks with him upon his return (from the US) and by making corrections to the film without affecting its storyline," he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens’ Leaked Dialogue Of Han Solo From Upcoming Trailer [Spoilers]
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- New Zealand Assured China-Australia Deal Will Not Affect Demand