Beckham to Poach Liverpool Legend for MLS - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 27, 2013 8:22 PM EST
Former Manchester United star David Beckham has reportedly been tasked with luring the likes of Steven Gerrard, Ashley Cole, Michael Carrick and Peter Crouch to the United States' Major League Soccer (MLS).
The Sunday People reports these four stars are in high demand among MLS clubs and Beckham will be asked to persuade his former England team-mates to finish their playing careers in the United States.
The report adds top Premier League players like Gerrard will earn between £4m and £5m a year and an MLS source believes a transfer could be an ideal opportunity for English football's ageing stars.
"With the wages, lifestyle, and anonymity the world's top soccer players have playing in the MLS, it makes it an ideal destination for them to finish their careers," the spokesperson said.
Beckham himself is still searching for a new club, after running down his contract with the Los Angeles Galaxy late in 2012. The ex-Real Madrid star may be 37 years old but he is still a big draw for several clubs around the world. Beckham is expected to announce his plans some time in February. His role as ambassador for the MLS will begin after that.
However, this is likely to be a difficult argument for Becks to pitch. The Liverpool captain Gerrard has committed himself to the Anfield club and has turned down far more lucrative and glamorous offers, including approaches from Spanish champions Real Madrid, to remain with his boyhood club. And while the 32-year-old midfielder is not the player he was a few years ago, he remains one of the very best in the world and is unlikely to favour a switch to the US.
Chelsea left-back Ashley Cole has just signed a one-year extension with the Blues and, like Gerrard, with clubs like Ligue 1's Paris St Germain (PSG) interested in his services, a shift to the MLS would appear to be a long way off.
Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick is similarly placed - he is a key member of the Red Devils' first team and The Sun reports he is set to sign an extension to his £80,000 per week contract at Old Trafford.
Ex-Liverpool striker Peter Crouch is perhaps the most realistic target for the MLS. The 31-year-old ex-England international is currently with Stoke City but has not had a particularly brilliant season, with only four goals from 20 league appearances so far.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best