Tottenham Enter Race for Gary Hooper - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 27, 2013 7:12 PM EST
Tottenham are close to signing Celtic striker Gary Hooper. The 24-year-old is also a target for Spurs' Premier League rivals Norwich City but talkSport reports the White Hart Lane club are more likely to agree a deal for the Celtic star forward, whom the club values at £7m. Hooper has scored 20 goals in 27 appearances, in all competitions, this season.
Hooper joined the Scottish club in 2010 from English club Scunthorpe United and his contract expires in 2014. Sky Sports reports the forward has rejected the offer of a new contract, which could mean Celtic may be forced to sell him either now or in the summer, to avoid losing him for free.
Meanwhile, the Canaries are believed to be extremely interested in Hooper and have already made two bids for the player - the initial bid, Sky Sports continues, was in the region of £5m. BBC adds the second bid - between £5m and £6m - was also rejected.
Aside from Spurs and Norwich, Metro reports Liverpool and QPR are also interested.
However, with the Reds having signed Daniel Sturridge from Chelsea and Fabio Borini now back from his leg injury, as well as being close to capturing 20-year-old Brazilian attacker Philippe Coutinho from Inter Milan, it appears unlikely the Anfield outfit will line up for Hooper.
Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas, on the other hand, has confirmed he will look to sign a third striker this month. The north London club have only England international Jermain Defoe for now, with Togo international Emmanuel Adebayor away at the 2013 African Cup of Nations.
Spurs have also been linked to 20-year-old Czech Matej Vydra, who is on loan from Italian club Udinese to Championship side Watford. An earlier target was Brazil striker Leandro Damiao but AVB has recently admitted a transfer is "unlikely".
Finally, Celtic goalkeeper Fraser Forster believes the club's forthcoming date with Italian champions Juventus, in the first knock-out round of the Champions League, could be enough to persuade Hooper to stay at Parkhead.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]