Tottenham Enter Race for Gary Hooper - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 27, 2013 7:12 PM EST
Tottenham are close to signing Celtic striker Gary Hooper. The 24-year-old is also a target for Spurs' Premier League rivals Norwich City but talkSport reports the White Hart Lane club are more likely to agree a deal for the Celtic star forward, whom the club values at £7m. Hooper has scored 20 goals in 27 appearances, in all competitions, this season.
Hooper joined the Scottish club in 2010 from English club Scunthorpe United and his contract expires in 2014. Sky Sports reports the forward has rejected the offer of a new contract, which could mean Celtic may be forced to sell him either now or in the summer, to avoid losing him for free.
Meanwhile, the Canaries are believed to be extremely interested in Hooper and have already made two bids for the player - the initial bid, Sky Sports continues, was in the region of £5m. BBC adds the second bid - between £5m and £6m - was also rejected.
Aside from Spurs and Norwich, Metro reports Liverpool and QPR are also interested.
However, with the Reds having signed Daniel Sturridge from Chelsea and Fabio Borini now back from his leg injury, as well as being close to capturing 20-year-old Brazilian attacker Philippe Coutinho from Inter Milan, it appears unlikely the Anfield outfit will line up for Hooper.
Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas, on the other hand, has confirmed he will look to sign a third striker this month. The north London club have only England international Jermain Defoe for now, with Togo international Emmanuel Adebayor away at the 2013 African Cup of Nations.
Spurs have also been linked to 20-year-old Czech Matej Vydra, who is on loan from Italian club Udinese to Championship side Watford. An earlier target was Brazil striker Leandro Damiao but AVB has recently admitted a transfer is "unlikely".
Finally, Celtic goalkeeper Fraser Forster believes the club's forthcoming date with Italian champions Juventus, in the first knock-out round of the Champions League, could be enough to persuade Hooper to stay at Parkhead.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy