Tottenham Enter Race for Gary Hooper - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 27, 2013 7:12 PM EST
Tottenham are close to signing Celtic striker Gary Hooper. The 24-year-old is also a target for Spurs' Premier League rivals Norwich City but talkSport reports the White Hart Lane club are more likely to agree a deal for the Celtic star forward, whom the club values at £7m. Hooper has scored 20 goals in 27 appearances, in all competitions, this season.
Hooper joined the Scottish club in 2010 from English club Scunthorpe United and his contract expires in 2014. Sky Sports reports the forward has rejected the offer of a new contract, which could mean Celtic may be forced to sell him either now or in the summer, to avoid losing him for free.
Meanwhile, the Canaries are believed to be extremely interested in Hooper and have already made two bids for the player - the initial bid, Sky Sports continues, was in the region of £5m. BBC adds the second bid - between £5m and £6m - was also rejected.
Aside from Spurs and Norwich, Metro reports Liverpool and QPR are also interested.
However, with the Reds having signed Daniel Sturridge from Chelsea and Fabio Borini now back from his leg injury, as well as being close to capturing 20-year-old Brazilian attacker Philippe Coutinho from Inter Milan, it appears unlikely the Anfield outfit will line up for Hooper.
Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas, on the other hand, has confirmed he will look to sign a third striker this month. The north London club have only England international Jermain Defoe for now, with Togo international Emmanuel Adebayor away at the 2013 African Cup of Nations.
Spurs have also been linked to 20-year-old Czech Matej Vydra, who is on loan from Italian club Udinese to Championship side Watford. An earlier target was Brazil striker Leandro Damiao but AVB has recently admitted a transfer is "unlikely".
Finally, Celtic goalkeeper Fraser Forster believes the club's forthcoming date with Italian champions Juventus, in the first knock-out round of the Champions League, could be enough to persuade Hooper to stay at Parkhead.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Without LeBron James, Kevin Durant And Other Stars, Team USA Looks to James Harden As Leader In 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain
- UEFA Champions League Draw: Schedule, TV and Live Stream Information
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Better Market Your Uranium Someplace Else, Japan Appetite No Longer Huge as Before – Former PM Tells Australia Queensland Premier Campbell Newman