Tottenham Enter Race for Gary Hooper - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 27, 2013 7:12 PM EST
Tottenham are close to signing Celtic striker Gary Hooper. The 24-year-old is also a target for Spurs' Premier League rivals Norwich City but talkSport reports the White Hart Lane club are more likely to agree a deal for the Celtic star forward, whom the club values at £7m. Hooper has scored 20 goals in 27 appearances, in all competitions, this season.
Hooper joined the Scottish club in 2010 from English club Scunthorpe United and his contract expires in 2014. Sky Sports reports the forward has rejected the offer of a new contract, which could mean Celtic may be forced to sell him either now or in the summer, to avoid losing him for free.
Meanwhile, the Canaries are believed to be extremely interested in Hooper and have already made two bids for the player - the initial bid, Sky Sports continues, was in the region of £5m. BBC adds the second bid - between £5m and £6m - was also rejected.
Aside from Spurs and Norwich, Metro reports Liverpool and QPR are also interested.
However, with the Reds having signed Daniel Sturridge from Chelsea and Fabio Borini now back from his leg injury, as well as being close to capturing 20-year-old Brazilian attacker Philippe Coutinho from Inter Milan, it appears unlikely the Anfield outfit will line up for Hooper.
Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas, on the other hand, has confirmed he will look to sign a third striker this month. The north London club have only England international Jermain Defoe for now, with Togo international Emmanuel Adebayor away at the 2013 African Cup of Nations.
Spurs have also been linked to 20-year-old Czech Matej Vydra, who is on loan from Italian club Udinese to Championship side Watford. An earlier target was Brazil striker Leandro Damiao but AVB has recently admitted a transfer is "unlikely".
Finally, Celtic goalkeeper Fraser Forster believes the club's forthcoming date with Italian champions Juventus, in the first knock-out round of the Champions League, could be enough to persuade Hooper to stay at Parkhead.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown