Tottenham Enter Race for Gary Hooper - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 27, 2013 7:12 PM EST
Tottenham are close to signing Celtic striker Gary Hooper. The 24-year-old is also a target for Spurs' Premier League rivals Norwich City but talkSport reports the White Hart Lane club are more likely to agree a deal for the Celtic star forward, whom the club values at £7m. Hooper has scored 20 goals in 27 appearances, in all competitions, this season.
Hooper joined the Scottish club in 2010 from English club Scunthorpe United and his contract expires in 2014. Sky Sports reports the forward has rejected the offer of a new contract, which could mean Celtic may be forced to sell him either now or in the summer, to avoid losing him for free.
Meanwhile, the Canaries are believed to be extremely interested in Hooper and have already made two bids for the player - the initial bid, Sky Sports continues, was in the region of £5m. BBC adds the second bid - between £5m and £6m - was also rejected.
Aside from Spurs and Norwich, Metro reports Liverpool and QPR are also interested.
However, with the Reds having signed Daniel Sturridge from Chelsea and Fabio Borini now back from his leg injury, as well as being close to capturing 20-year-old Brazilian attacker Philippe Coutinho from Inter Milan, it appears unlikely the Anfield outfit will line up for Hooper.
Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas, on the other hand, has confirmed he will look to sign a third striker this month. The north London club have only England international Jermain Defoe for now, with Togo international Emmanuel Adebayor away at the 2013 African Cup of Nations.
Spurs have also been linked to 20-year-old Czech Matej Vydra, who is on loan from Italian club Udinese to Championship side Watford. An earlier target was Brazil striker Leandro Damiao but AVB has recently admitted a transfer is "unlikely".
Finally, Celtic goalkeeper Fraser Forster believes the club's forthcoming date with Italian champions Juventus, in the first knock-out round of the Champions League, could be enough to persuade Hooper to stay at Parkhead.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone