Arsenal Transfer News: Wenger Interested in French Midfielder
By Vishnuprasad S | January 27, 2013 6:34 PM EST
Bastia chairman Pierre-Marie Geronimi claims Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has personally contacted him regarding the availability of midfielder Florian Thauvin.
The Gunners have been linked with a £4.3m move for the 20-year-old during this transfer window and Geronimi says that although the north London side are yet to table an official bid for his player, they have been holding talks regarding a transfer.
"We have not received any firm offer from Arsenal and, thus, there is no question of the €5m (£4.3m) reported. This week I have had Arsene Wenger on the phone twice. He expressed his interest in the player to us, but it has not gone beyond that," Sky Sports quoted the Bastia chief as saying.
Geronimi also revealed Newcastle United, who have been on a Ligue 1 signing spree, are the only club to have made an offer for Thauvin so far. However, their initial bid of £2.6m was knocked back by the Corsican outfit.
"Thauvin has been the object of just one concrete offer so far, from Newcastle, for €3m (£2.6m), but we refused it. However, he didn't want to extend his contract with Bastia, but he will stay until the end of the season," the Frenchman pointed out.
Thauvin, who joined Bastia from fourth division side Grenoble in 2011, has 18 months left on his contract. The France U20 star generally operates as an attacking midfielder and has made 19 Ligue 1 appearances this season, scoring three times.
Wenger Hails Arsenal's Spirit
Meanwhile, Wenger has praised his team's fighting spirit after their 3-2 victory over Championship outfit Brighton & Hove Albion in the fourth round of the FA Cup. Theo Walcott scored in the 85th minute to send the Gunners through to the fifth round and the manager admitted it was a difficult tie for his side.
"Brighton made it very difficult for us and were sharper than us in the first half. They had a great spirit. But in the end we had that little bit of extra quality to get us through. We did our job, but needed to fight until the end," Wenger told ESPN.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members