Arsenal Transfer News: Wenger Interested in French Midfielder
By Vishnuprasad S | January 27, 2013 6:34 PM EST
Bastia chairman Pierre-Marie Geronimi claims Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has personally contacted him regarding the availability of midfielder Florian Thauvin.
The Gunners have been linked with a £4.3m move for the 20-year-old during this transfer window and Geronimi says that although the north London side are yet to table an official bid for his player, they have been holding talks regarding a transfer.
"We have not received any firm offer from Arsenal and, thus, there is no question of the €5m (£4.3m) reported. This week I have had Arsene Wenger on the phone twice. He expressed his interest in the player to us, but it has not gone beyond that," Sky Sports quoted the Bastia chief as saying.
Geronimi also revealed Newcastle United, who have been on a Ligue 1 signing spree, are the only club to have made an offer for Thauvin so far. However, their initial bid of £2.6m was knocked back by the Corsican outfit.
"Thauvin has been the object of just one concrete offer so far, from Newcastle, for €3m (£2.6m), but we refused it. However, he didn't want to extend his contract with Bastia, but he will stay until the end of the season," the Frenchman pointed out.
Thauvin, who joined Bastia from fourth division side Grenoble in 2011, has 18 months left on his contract. The France U20 star generally operates as an attacking midfielder and has made 19 Ligue 1 appearances this season, scoring three times.
Wenger Hails Arsenal's Spirit
Meanwhile, Wenger has praised his team's fighting spirit after their 3-2 victory over Championship outfit Brighton & Hove Albion in the fourth round of the FA Cup. Theo Walcott scored in the 85th minute to send the Gunners through to the fifth round and the manager admitted it was a difficult tie for his side.
"Brighton made it very difficult for us and were sharper than us in the first half. They had a great spirit. But in the end we had that little bit of extra quality to get us through. We did our job, but needed to fight until the end," Wenger told ESPN.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Los Angeles Clippers 2014-2015 NBA Preview: Chris Paul, Blake And Lob City Aiming High
- ‘The X Factor Australia' 2014 Winner Prediction - Dean Ray Will Win Title, According To Betting Odds; Marlisa Punzalan, Brothers 3 Are The Underdogs
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored
- Spain Offers To Train Iraqi Troops To Fight Back ISIS Militants: Kurdish Forces Making Gains In Kobani Against ISIS Surge