Obama’s Re-Election Opens up New Vistas for Cooperation: Nirupama Rao
January 27, 2013 4:46 PM EST
The inauguration of President Barack Obama in his second term "opens up new and inspiring vistas for cooperation between our two countries," said the Indian Ambassador to the United States, Nirupama Rao.
The ambassador was speaking at a reception hosted at her residence to mark India's Republic Day on Thursday evening. Rao's guests included Deputy Secretary of State William Burns, and Ami Bera, the newly-minted Indian American Congressman from California.
"This is an occasion when we celebrate the strength and resilience of India's vibrant democracy, her respect for fundamental freedoms, her upholding of the rule of law, and her commitment to friendship with neighbors and our partners all over the world," said Rao.
She spoke about the birth of India 63 years ago, on the 26th January, 1950, when "our Republic was founded on the selflessness and the vision of those who fought and won our freedom."
"The anniversary of that first Republic Day is the occasion for us to renew our pledge and our determination to protect our Republic, and to work for the progress of our country. We have never been, and will never be deterred by any challenges we may face, knowing that the basic goodness of the human spirit that imbues our people, and our belief in democracy and its enduring values, can never let us down," said Rao.
In her speech, Rao said that it is the faith of India "in democracy and the democratic dividend that unites us in partnership with the United States of America."
She added: "Our strategic partnership with the United States is marked by energy, by hope, by the vision of our leaders that our cooperation for global peace, progress and stability can make a difference for our century. We have particularly valued the friendship, the commitment and dedicated cooperation of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Deputy Secretary Burns, Under Secretary Sherman, and other outstanding colleagues in the Department of State in this journey that we have
jointly undertaken to strengthen India-U.S. partnership over the last
She recounted what the Prime Minister of India, Dr. Manmohan Singh, said in his words of greeting and felicitation to President Obama on his reelection: "I have no doubt that there is much more we can do together to further strengthen the India-U.S. partnership and thereby advance peace and stability, expand mutual economic opportunities, harness the potential of science and technology, innovation and higher education and empower our people to address global challenges."
Rao said that "this is the agenda before us in this new phase of our relationship, one that we must work together to realize. Our success in doing so will make a crucial difference not only for our two countries, but indeed for the rest of the world, and its peoples." (GIN - AmericanBazaarOnline.com)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools