On Mars, Dry Ice 'Smoke' Shows The Red Planet Is Still Alive And Changing [VIDEO]
By Eric Brown | January 27, 2013 9:35 AM EST
NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, or MRO, spacecraft has produced an amazing series of photographs showing seasonal changes on Mars that include dry ice “smoke” carving grooves into the Red Planet’s sand dunes.
Associated MRO data, published in three new journal articles, show that even though many think of Mars as a largely dead planet, it is actually still undergoing a large degree of geological change, according to Space.com.
"It's an amazingly dynamic process," Candice Hansen, senior scientist at the Planetary Science Institute in Tucson, Ariz., and lead author of one of the studies, said in a statement hosted by NASA. "We had this old paradigm that all the action on Mars was billions of years ago. Thanks to the ability to monitor changes with the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, one of the new paradigms is that Mars has many active processes today."
So what exactly is cutting this series of grooves into Mars’ sand dunes?
In the Martian spring, hotter weather thaws a frozen layer of carbon dioxide -- better known as dry ice in this form -- on the planet's surface.
Contrary to expectations, however, it is the underside of the layer that thaws first, creating larger and larger pockets of dry ice “smoke” or gas underneath the surface. Eventually, the gas breaks free and creates the noticeable grooves throughout Mars’ dunes.
These observations, recently published in the planetary-science journal Icarus, were made over the course of three Martian years -- about six Earth years.
"It is a challenge to catch when and how those changes happen, they are so fast," Ganna Portyankina, a researcher at the University of Bern in Switzerland and lead author of another of the three studies, said in the statement hosted by NASA. "That's why only now we start to see the bigger picture that both hemispheres actually tell us similar stories."
Watch NASA's "Mars: Dry Ice & Dunes" video explaining the phenomenon below.
Embedded video from
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Woman Claiming To Be Former NASA Employee Says She Saw Humans Walking On Mars In 1979
- More Artefacts Found in Greece's Mystery Tomb
- 12th Century Sword Found By An Archaeologist Could Have Belonged To Ivan The Terrible
- Peru Probes Into The Deaths Of 500 Sea Lions
- Underwater Robotics Measures Thickness Of Antarctic Sea Ice
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft