On Mars, Dry Ice 'Smoke' Shows The Red Planet Is Still Alive And Changing [VIDEO]
By Eric Brown | January 27, 2013 9:35 AM EST
NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, or MRO, spacecraft has produced an amazing series of photographs showing seasonal changes on Mars that include dry ice “smoke” carving grooves into the Red Planet’s sand dunes.
Associated MRO data, published in three new journal articles, show that even though many think of Mars as a largely dead planet, it is actually still undergoing a large degree of geological change, according to Space.com.
"It's an amazingly dynamic process," Candice Hansen, senior scientist at the Planetary Science Institute in Tucson, Ariz., and lead author of one of the studies, said in a statement hosted by NASA. "We had this old paradigm that all the action on Mars was billions of years ago. Thanks to the ability to monitor changes with the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, one of the new paradigms is that Mars has many active processes today."
So what exactly is cutting this series of grooves into Mars’ sand dunes?
In the Martian spring, hotter weather thaws a frozen layer of carbon dioxide -- better known as dry ice in this form -- on the planet's surface.
Contrary to expectations, however, it is the underside of the layer that thaws first, creating larger and larger pockets of dry ice “smoke” or gas underneath the surface. Eventually, the gas breaks free and creates the noticeable grooves throughout Mars’ dunes.
These observations, recently published in the planetary-science journal Icarus, were made over the course of three Martian years -- about six Earth years.
"It is a challenge to catch when and how those changes happen, they are so fast," Ganna Portyankina, a researcher at the University of Bern in Switzerland and lead author of another of the three studies, said in the statement hosted by NASA. "That's why only now we start to see the bigger picture that both hemispheres actually tell us similar stories."
Watch NASA's "Mars: Dry Ice & Dunes" video explaining the phenomenon below.
Embedded video from
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports