Robert Herjavec, 'Shark Tank' Entrepreneur, Wrecks Ferrari During Race At Daytona
By IB Times Staff Reporter | January 27, 2013 7:54 AM EST
Robert Herjavec, a millionaire entrepreneur and one of the stars of the ABC show “Shark Tank,” was in a car crash during a race at the Daytona International Speedway on Friday.
Herjavec was bumped from behind on the seventh lap of the inaugural Ferrari Challenge, which runs on a 3.56-mile course. The Associated Press reported that Herjavec was treated and released at the infield care center at the center of the track.
He later tweeted: “thx everyone 4 your concern-medical released me-rammed from behind- frustrated but OK-car should be OK for race (hash) 2 tmrow.”
Herjavec later wrote that his car -- which is adorned with shark teeth in homage to his television show -- had been repaired and will be ready to race again soon.
“It’s physically impossible to race sideways like that. But it was great. Halfway through, you get over the fear,” he told the Nascar News Journal of Daytona, before the crash.
“Shark Tank,” which debuted on ABC in 2009, features Herjavec and four other entrepreneurs hearing pitches from upstart business owners hoping to convince the “sharks” for an investment … or at least get some publicity.
The 49-year-old made his fortune as the founder of BRAK Internet security software, and selling it to AT&T. He currently serves as the CEO of The Herjavec Group, another security software company, which is valued at over $100 million.
The entrepreneur previously compared his business method with his life on the race track during an interview with Inc.com.
“I own a Ferrari race team, and we race all over North America. It's kind of like business; if you move fast, sometimes poo-poo happens,” Herjavec said in June 2012. “I had gone around a corner, and had just done a fast lap, and I should have lifted the throttle. So I crashed. Just like in business, you have to know when to lift off.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales