Evidence Of Bigfoot In Oregon? Shrieks, Moans Recorded But Scientists Doubtful
By Jeff Stone | January 27, 2013 5:25 AM EST
There’s a swamp in the Umatilla Indian reservation near Pendleton, Oregon, that makes people who live near it nervous. At the end of November residents nearby started hearing shrieks and moans at night, but they were too scared to investigate or even walk their dogs by the swamp during the day. Some in the area say it’s a family of foxes or coyotes, but others point to another solution: Bigfoot.
“It’s causing an uproar around here,” said Sylvia Minthorn, who lives nearby, according to the Oregonian.
Colleen Chance, a tribal housing authority employee who recorded the sounds on her iPhone, also was unsure if a Bigfoot had been trying to make its presence known in the area.
“It’s kind of spooky,” she said. “Some say its foxes, some say it’s a female coyote and some say it’s Sasquatch. I don’t know what it is.”
Scientists have said that almost all evidence of Bigfoot, a sort of half-man, half-ape that’s also known as the Sasquatch and has reported all over the world, has been the result of either misidentification or a hoax.
Carl Sheeler, a wildlife program manager in the Umatilla area, said the foggy swamp is the perfect destination for animals including cougars, foxes, coyotes and the like to let out their shrieks.
“When they are breeding it’s absolutely hair-raising,” he said. “And the first time a person hears a fox calling in the night, kind of echoing, it raises the hair on the back of your neck. That wetland is the perfect place to have an echoing call sound eerie.”
The Umatilla Reservation spans roughly 178,000 acres and is home to 1,500 people across Oregon’s Blue Mountains. It's where supposed Bigfoot sightings have been frequent since someone found an 18-inch footprint in 1966. When a prankster named Ray Wallace died in 2002, his family revealed at his funeral that he had been the source of most of the Sasquatch “evidence” in the heavily forested Pacific Northwest.
Last year a video was posted online by an Ohio man who claimed to see a Bigfoot run across his path during a backwoods ATV ride. Thick Ohio forests are a similar habitat to the Pacific Northwest, leading many to question if the Sasquatch had made its way across the country. The video was later revealed to be nothing more than a man dressed in a bear suit playing a prank on his friends.
“Scientists have said that eyewitnesses have only presented circumstantial evidence over the years that make it impossible to confirm whether there really is a Bigfoot out there," the 10TV news station reported at the time. "Some swear that an audio recording known as the 'Ohio Howl' presents evidence that Bigfoot is real. A barking dog is heard in the recording and then a siren-like moan is audible."
Below are the noises recorded on Colleen Chance’s phone in Oregon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales