FA Cup: Oldham Athletic v Liverpool Preview, Where to Watch Live
By Dominic Gover | January 27, 2013 5:01 AM EST
Former Everton youngster Jose Baxter has special cause to be excited ahead of the FA Cup clash between Liverpool and Oldham Athletic on Sunday 27 January..
The forward played top level football for Liverpool's deadly derby rivals before his career took a wrong turn after he turned down a contract offer from Everton last summer.
Now the 20-year-old is rebuilding at League One club Oldham Athletic, bolstered by playing regularly under boss Paul Dickov.
Dropping from early heights was a blow for Baxter, who broke European goalscoring records at youth international level and surpassed the tallies notched up by Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen.
So the visit of an improving Liverpool side led by Brendan Rodgers presents an opportunity to showcase his talents with the potential for an FA Cup upset.
The absence of first-choice goalkeeper Pepe Reina boosts the hopes in the Manchester surburb of springing a shock. Brad Jones is expected to deputise in goal. Full back Glen Johnson is also a doubt with a hamstring problem.
Speaking to BBC Sport ahead of the tie, Baxter said: "It's possibly the biggest day of my life. For me and my family it will be massive and something I will never forget."
He is relishing the prospect of playing against Steven Gerrard.
"It's amazing that I could be playing against him on Sunday. He is one of my idols and possibly one of the best players ever to play the game."
Another Oldham player for whom the tie represents a important personal moment is skipper James Wesolowski. He is a lifelong Liverpool fan.
Oldham Athletic play Liverpool in the fourth round of the FA Cup, Sunday 27 January. Kick off is at 4pm GMT, and live coverage in the UK starts at 3.30pm on ITV.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS