FA Cup: Oldham Athletic v Liverpool Preview, Where to Watch Live
By Dominic Gover | January 27, 2013 5:01 AM EST
Former Everton youngster Jose Baxter has special cause to be excited ahead of the FA Cup clash between Liverpool and Oldham Athletic on Sunday 27 January..
The forward played top level football for Liverpool's deadly derby rivals before his career took a wrong turn after he turned down a contract offer from Everton last summer.
Now the 20-year-old is rebuilding at League One club Oldham Athletic, bolstered by playing regularly under boss Paul Dickov.
Dropping from early heights was a blow for Baxter, who broke European goalscoring records at youth international level and surpassed the tallies notched up by Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen.
So the visit of an improving Liverpool side led by Brendan Rodgers presents an opportunity to showcase his talents with the potential for an FA Cup upset.
The absence of first-choice goalkeeper Pepe Reina boosts the hopes in the Manchester surburb of springing a shock. Brad Jones is expected to deputise in goal. Full back Glen Johnson is also a doubt with a hamstring problem.
Speaking to BBC Sport ahead of the tie, Baxter said: "It's possibly the biggest day of my life. For me and my family it will be massive and something I will never forget."
He is relishing the prospect of playing against Steven Gerrard.
"It's amazing that I could be playing against him on Sunday. He is one of my idols and possibly one of the best players ever to play the game."
Another Oldham player for whom the tie represents a important personal moment is skipper James Wesolowski. He is a lifelong Liverpool fan.
Oldham Athletic play Liverpool in the fourth round of the FA Cup, Sunday 27 January. Kick off is at 4pm GMT, and live coverage in the UK starts at 3.30pm on ITV.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June