Grandma Killed By 'Vicious' Pet Cockatiel
By Fiona Keating | January 27, 2013 2:56 AM EST
Lilian Kershaw, aged 84, became increasingly breathless after nine years of inhaling particles from the bird's droppings and feathers when its cage was being cleaned out.
The 84-year-old grandmother was later diagnosed with the little-known disease Bird Fancier's Lung.
Despite never handling Charlie the cockatiel, the retired cotton mill worker became out of breath while exposed to the bird in her living room.
Unbeknown to her family, the ill health was partly due to the bird, which was bought for grandson Lloyd in 2002.
Mrs Kershaw's daughter Denise Bacchas told the Daily Mirror: "My mother never handled him, nobody could because he was so vicious. He would peck you to death and he would draw blood. Whoever cleaned him would have to wear gloves."
After the inquest hearing, Mrs Bacchas admitted: "If we had known we would never have got Charlie.
"I'd never even heard of this before and it was not something that crossed my mind."
The grandmother's death in November 2011 was at first thought to be due to industrial disease, but the bird prompted further investigation.
Lilian's chest physician, Dr Georges Ng Man Qwong, told Rochdale coroner Simon Nelson: "Bird Fancier's Lung is an uncommon condition and we do not see it very often and a GP may only see a case once every 10 years."
The cockatiel has since been handed over to a local RSPCA bird sanctuary to be rehoused.
Mrs Bacchas added: "Of course we were attached to Charlie, as you are with a pet, but he had to go."
Rochdale coroner Simon Nelson said it was the first time in 10 years he had come across a case of Bird Fancier's Lung.
A verdict of accidental death was recorded.
Death by budgie
A budgie breeder may have been killed by the droppings from his flock of 200 birds.
George Hill, 79, of Swadlincote, Derbyshire, had a heart attack brought on by respiratory disease pulmonary fibrosis. He bred budgies for over 34 years. Verdict: Natural causes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Airborne Version of Ebola Virus Could Wipe Out 1.2 Million; Aussie Doctor Appeals For Help
- Justin Bieber Strips for Fashion Week, Flashes Six Pack Abs: His Diet and Workout Secrets
- A Wife's Happiness is More Crucial Than Her Husband's For a Long Lasting, Happy Marriage, Finds Study
- Kim Kardashian's Pregnancy Glow Returns; Rumour Mill Suggests That Kim Is Pregnant
- Research Finds African Americans and Caribbean Blacks Experiencing Discrimination are at a Greater Risk for Mental Disorders
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- HTC ‘Double Exposure’ Event On October 8 Could Unveil HTC Eye With 5.2-inch FHD Display
- Apple iOS 8 Can Trump Google Android 5.0 L Upon September 17 Release
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect