Japan minister: not trying to weaken yen, central bank
January 27, 2013 1:21 AM EST
Japan's economy minister said on Saturday his country's extraordinary fiscal and monetary stimulus program was not aimed at weakening the yen or undermining central bank independence.
Akira Amari told the World Economic Forum in Davos it was up to the market to determine the currency's exchange rate, and the Bank of Japan had chosen independently to sign a joint statement with the government on actions to fight deflation and revive economic growth.
"You might think there's a deliberate policy to drive down the value of the yen but we in government refrain from commenting on the exchange rate of the yen," Amari said in response to criticism of Japanese action.
(Reporting by Lisa Jucca and Paul Taylor; Writing by Paul Taylor)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports
- Iphone 6 Release Date Fast -Approaching, Reuse and Recycle Program Now in Australia