JJ Abrams Confirmed As New Star Wars Director
By Tom Porter | January 26, 2013 10:32 PM EST
Sci-fi movie supremo JJ Abrams has been chosen to direct the latest instalment of the Star Wars saga.
Emmy award-winning Abrams, whose hits include Star Trek and the TV show Lost, will take control of Star Wars: Episode VII, which will begin production in the next few months.
Announcing the decision, Star Wars creator George Lucas said: "I've consistently been impressed with JJ as a film-maker and a storyteller. He's an ideal choice to direct the new Star Wars film and the legacy couldn't be in better hands."
The new movie will be the first of a new trilogy made by Disney, which acquired Lucas' Lucasfilm in 2012 for $4.05 billion. Kathleen Kennedy will act as producer and Michael Arndt will provide the screenplay.
Lucas has been retained as creative consultant for the series and has written treatments for the three new films.
Kennedy said, "JJ is the perfect director to helm this. Beyond having such great instincts as a film-maker, he has an intuitive understanding of the Star Wars franchise."
Abrams, 46, said, "It is an absolute honour.
"I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than I was as a kid."
After breathing new life into the Star Trek franchise with his 2009 critical and commercial hit, fans underwhelmed by the last Star Wars films will be hopeful Abrams can work similar wonders with this project. Many took to Twitter to express delight at the news.
Corey Vidal @coreyvidal tweeted: "It has been confirmed that J.J. Abrams is going to direct Star Wars Episode VII. I couldn't be happier."
Michael Scott @dorkmanscott tweeted: "Star Wars just confirmed: J.J. Abrams is, indeed, directing Ep7. Okay everybody. NOW you can freak out."
The Star Wars series has grossed more than $4.4 billion (£2.7 billion) since the first instalment was released in 1977, making it the third most lucrative franchise in film history after Harry Potter and James Bond. Its catchphrases and characters have since become firmly entrenched in popular culture.
The new film is due for release in 2015.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Report Claims China & Taiwan Sell Human Meat
- Crocodile Attacks, Takes Man in Adelaide River; Wife Witnesses Tragedy
- Sex with the Dead: Ohio Man Admits Doing it with 100 Corpses
- Princess Diana's Gravesite Algae-Infested, Earl Spencer Reportedly To Blame
- Ebola Virus: NZ Health Officials Given 'Powers' to Stop Ships, Planes from Entering Border
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region