JJ Abrams Confirmed As New Star Wars Director
By Tom Porter | January 26, 2013 10:32 PM EST
Sci-fi movie supremo JJ Abrams has been chosen to direct the latest instalment of the Star Wars saga.
Emmy award-winning Abrams, whose hits include Star Trek and the TV show Lost, will take control of Star Wars: Episode VII, which will begin production in the next few months.
Announcing the decision, Star Wars creator George Lucas said: "I've consistently been impressed with JJ as a film-maker and a storyteller. He's an ideal choice to direct the new Star Wars film and the legacy couldn't be in better hands."
The new movie will be the first of a new trilogy made by Disney, which acquired Lucas' Lucasfilm in 2012 for $4.05 billion. Kathleen Kennedy will act as producer and Michael Arndt will provide the screenplay.
Lucas has been retained as creative consultant for the series and has written treatments for the three new films.
Kennedy said, "JJ is the perfect director to helm this. Beyond having such great instincts as a film-maker, he has an intuitive understanding of the Star Wars franchise."
Abrams, 46, said, "It is an absolute honour.
"I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than I was as a kid."
After breathing new life into the Star Trek franchise with his 2009 critical and commercial hit, fans underwhelmed by the last Star Wars films will be hopeful Abrams can work similar wonders with this project. Many took to Twitter to express delight at the news.
Corey Vidal @coreyvidal tweeted: "It has been confirmed that J.J. Abrams is going to direct Star Wars Episode VII. I couldn't be happier."
Michael Scott @dorkmanscott tweeted: "Star Wars just confirmed: J.J. Abrams is, indeed, directing Ep7. Okay everybody. NOW you can freak out."
The Star Wars series has grossed more than $4.4 billion (£2.7 billion) since the first instalment was released in 1977, making it the third most lucrative franchise in film history after Harry Potter and James Bond. Its catchphrases and characters have since become firmly entrenched in popular culture.
The new film is due for release in 2015.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People