Taylor Swift Allegedly 'Engaged' To Diet Coke: Will It Last?
By Maria Vultaggio | January 26, 2013 2:56 PM EST
The Coca-Cola Co. (NYSE:KO) has signed a contract with country crooner Taylor Swift to promote Diet Coke, according to Advertising Age, which did not identify its source. A representative of the Atlanta-based company declined to comment to Ad Age about the reported deal.
The Grammy Award-winning singer was recently photographed exiting a plane while holding a Diet Coke can, and now it appears she is going to get paid millions of dollars to promote the zero-calorie soda.
The deal comes just weeks after pop singer Beyonce signed an estimated $50 million deal with the rival soft-drink maker PepsiCo Inc. (NYSE:PEP), headquartered in Purchase, N.Y.
Landing Swift as a brand representative for Diet Coke is a major score for Coca-Cola in its battle with PepsiCo over the youth/music market. In this fight, Coca-Cola also recently invested $10 million in the digital music service Spotify, as reported by Adweek.
Michael Jackson was famously a promoter of Pepsi in the 1980s, evidence that the soda industry’s titans have been warring over the youth/music market for decades.
Although Swift may have a new Diet Coke deal, the singer-songwriter will not be appearing in any of Coca-Cola's Super Bowl commercials this year, Ad Age reported.
The reported Diet Coke deal isn’t the first the 23-year-old superstar has inked with a major consumer-products company: Swift is also the face of the CoverGirl cosmetics unit of the Procter & Gamble Co. (NYSE:PG), based in Cincinnati.
Swift most likely hopes her relationship with Diet Coke will be longer-lasting than her relationships with various entertainment-industry types, ranging from actor Jake Gyllenhaal to musician John Mayer to One Direction singer Harry Styles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch