Stephen King Pulls 'Rage' From Bookshelves Citing 'Possible Accelerant' For School Shooters
By Jeff Stone | January 26, 2013 8:50 AM EST
Stephen King has injected himself into the American debate over gun control with a new essay titled only, “Guns.” The 25-page essay, published as part of Amazon’s Kindle Singles collection, includes possible solutions to the mass shooting epidemic that’s plagued the nation, but also announces King’s decision to remove his first novel from bookshelves.
Before there was Carrie, Jack Torrance or “The Stand,” King penned “Rage,” about a student who brings a gun to school and kills members of the faculty before taking his class hostage. King told Media Bistro how his feelings about the novel have changed in the wake of the shooting at Sandy Hook elementary in Newtown, Connecticut and similar, no less tragic, events.
“My book did not break [these teenagers], or turn them into killers; they found something in my book that spoke to them because they were already broken,” he said. “Yet I did see ‘Rage’ as a possible accelerant, which is why I pulled it from sale. You don’t leave a can of gasoline where a boy with firebug tendencies can lay hands on it.”
Four different teenagers who had committed shootings said they had copies of “Rage.” The book was originally published in 1977 under King’s pseudonym Richard Bachman.
“I suppose if it had been written today, and some high school English teacher had seen it, he would have rushed the manuscript to the guidance counselor and I would have found myself in therapy posthaste,” King said to Salon.
“Guns” also “constructs his argument for what can and should be done” about the gun violence that has killed so many innocent people. King, a gun owner himself, said the current political discourse has forgotten about the middle-of-the-road political ideology.
Reviews of the Kindle Single have been overwhelmingly positive, perhaps because of his quip, “The idea that America exists in a culture of violence is bulls***. What exists is a culture of Kardashian.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected