The Strokes Release New Song 'One Way Trigger' [LISTEN HERE]
By Connor Adams Sheets | January 26, 2013 7:28 AM EST
RCA Records released "One Way Trigger," a new song by New York City rock band The Strokes, Thursday evening via the band's SoundCloud page.
Click play below to listen to the new track:
You can also download an MP3 file of "One Way Trigger" by going to the band's official homepage and typing in your e-mail address and the country in which you live.
The song is the first music officially released from the Strokes' forthcoming fifth album, which many thought would never see the light of day after the band went through a couple of rough patches and was expected by many fans to break up prior to the release of their fourth album, "Angles," in 2011, which the band did not tour on.
But news in recent weeks seemed to eliminate such doubts, as details about the Strokes' fifth album slowly emerged.
On Jan. 16 a Seattle radio station posted a teasing post on its official Facebook account about "All The Time," a new single by the band which had reportedly been provided, along with another track from the forthcoming LP (perhaps "One Way Trigger), to the radio station by RCA Records.
Mike Kaplan, program director at the station, KNDD 1077 The End, provided details the following day to the IBTimes via e-mail:
"Thanks for inquiring about the post," Kaplan wrote in the email. "Officially I can't comment on when the new single and album will be released, however it will be 'soon'. And when we're given word on more details we'll send out an alert."
Kaplan provided some details about the initial reaction to the music that KNDD has heard, and it seems that the Strokes' musical style will continue to evolve on their new album, which will be the band's fifth.
"Angles" was seen as a major departure from the band's previous records, and it featured for the first time songs written by each of the five members of the band, rather than those penned solely by front man Julian Casablancas.
"And from the material I've heard, one track had more electronic influence, while the single being released to radio was straight-ahead classic Strokes," Kaplan wrote. "We think the fan base will love it."
Other new details about the eagerly anticipated new Strokes music emerged Jan. 17 via a post on KNDD's website. We have posted text of that post in full below:
"As a few of you may have caught wind of, late yesterday we spilled the beans that we'd had the chance to preview new music from The Strokes. While RCA is keeping most of the details of the forthcoming new full-length album (yes, you read that correctly) under wraps, we can tell you that of the two songs we heard, one was a more synth-driven track, with the other (the aforementioned, 'All The Time') packing a classic Strokes sound. No mention of a tour came up, but we can tell you, you'll be hearing new music from the band sooner [rather] than later, with the new album to be released later this year. More when we can share ... Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to be the first to find out."
The new information came on the heels of the initial Facebook post, which went up Wednesday evening and read as follows:
"Previewing brand new Strokes 'All the Time' thanks to RCA Records. We'll have to 'leak' this soon. You won't be disappointed... -mike," the Facebook post read.
It's still not clear whether "All the Time" is the name of a song, album or both.
The Strokes remain wildly popular, and critics continue to shower them with accolades, as the band's first album, "Is This It?" was named the best album of the first decade of the 21st century by NME magazine in 2009.
Four of the band's five members have released solo albums or were key members of side projects that released albums of their own.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar