'A Prayer For Dean Smith' Puts North Carolina-NC State Rivalry Aside: Wolfpack Student's Touching Article Goes Viral
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 26, 2013 7:29 AM EST
A North Carolina State University student has shown that a heated college basketball rivalry doesn’t have to interfere with admiration for the opposing side after he penned the viral “A Prayer For Dean Smith” in the school newspaper.
“A Prayer For Dean Smith,” written by Rob McLamb, a staff writer for the NC State student newspaper Technician, pays tribute to the classy former North Carolina Tar Heels coach, who is battling memory problems.
“This is a prayer for Dean Smith,” McLamb wrote in an article that has gone viral in advance of Saturday’s Tar Heels-Wolfpack game. “Smith is a beautiful man. He has lived a life for others. He has given so much to the people that he loves that it is beyond reproach.”
The NC State student urged fans on both sides to take time to put the rivalry aside, especially Wolfpack fans, to pray for Smith’s health.
“As the glorious feeling treks down Highway I-40, the Durham Freeway, and 15-501 towards Chapel Hill, it is certainly alright if those who loved and respected Smith gather to feel the profound love. Let the people who have rooted against or even hated Smith gather to feel it too,” McLamb wrote. “As a devout Christian, Smith would want to reach the people who do not like him much more than the ones who do. …This is a prayer for Smith. Let the rest of his days be filled with good health, unconditional love and genuine happiness.”
On Smith’s best days, he has no memory issues. But on his worst, the former North Carolina coach has difficulty remembering the names of close friends.
North Carolina takes on NC State at 7 p.m. Saturday at the PNC Arena in Raleigh, N.C.
While the Tar Heels have been a perennial college basketball powerhouse and rose to prominence under Smith – North Carolina’s arena is named after Smith and is better known as the “Dean Dome” – the Wolfpack come into the game as the higher ranked team. NC State is No. 18 in the nation while North Carolina is unranked.
But those rankings have diminished importance in a rivalry game, even though the Tar Heels have won 13 straight games over the Wolfpack dating back to 2007.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6