Precious Metals Post Weekly Losses, XAU Tumbles
By jturbin | January 26, 2013 7:21 AM EST
Gold and silver futures added to their recent stretch of declines on Friday amid weakness in the precious metals complex.
COMEX gold for February delivery settled down by $13.30, or 0.8%, at $1,656.60 per ounce. In doing so, the yellow metal posted a weekly loss of 1.8% and turned lower on a year-to-date basis by 1.2%.
March silver futures at the COMEX closed down by $0.52, or 1.6%, at $31.21 per ounce. With the slide, silver stretched its weekly loss to 2.3%, but remains up by 3.2% thus far in 2013.
Gold and silver stocks came under heavy selling pressure as well, as earlier today the Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) fell by as much as 2.7% to 150.53 – its lowest level since August 3rd of last year.
This afternoon, notable XAU components in the red included Barrick Gold (ABX), IAMGOLD (IAG), and Silver Standard Resources (SSRI). Shares of ABX dropped by 1.3% to $32.85, IAG by 3.6% to $8.44, and SSRI by 2.1% to $12.32.
The broader equity markets fared quite better than most gold and silver stocks, as the S&P 500 Index traded up by 0.4% at 1,500.68.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko