Precious Metals Post Weekly Losses, XAU Tumbles
By jturbin | January 26, 2013 7:21 AM EST
Gold and silver futures added to their recent stretch of declines on Friday amid weakness in the precious metals complex.
COMEX gold for February delivery settled down by $13.30, or 0.8%, at $1,656.60 per ounce. In doing so, the yellow metal posted a weekly loss of 1.8% and turned lower on a year-to-date basis by 1.2%.
March silver futures at the COMEX closed down by $0.52, or 1.6%, at $31.21 per ounce. With the slide, silver stretched its weekly loss to 2.3%, but remains up by 3.2% thus far in 2013.
Gold and silver stocks came under heavy selling pressure as well, as earlier today the Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) fell by as much as 2.7% to 150.53 – its lowest level since August 3rd of last year.
This afternoon, notable XAU components in the red included Barrick Gold (ABX), IAMGOLD (IAG), and Silver Standard Resources (SSRI). Shares of ABX dropped by 1.3% to $32.85, IAG by 3.6% to $8.44, and SSRI by 2.1% to $12.32.
The broader equity markets fared quite better than most gold and silver stocks, as the S&P 500 Index traded up by 0.4% at 1,500.68.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine