Precious Metals Post Weekly Losses, XAU Tumbles
By jturbin | January 26, 2013 7:21 AM EST
Gold and silver futures added to their recent stretch of declines on Friday amid weakness in the precious metals complex.
COMEX gold for February delivery settled down by $13.30, or 0.8%, at $1,656.60 per ounce. In doing so, the yellow metal posted a weekly loss of 1.8% and turned lower on a year-to-date basis by 1.2%.
March silver futures at the COMEX closed down by $0.52, or 1.6%, at $31.21 per ounce. With the slide, silver stretched its weekly loss to 2.3%, but remains up by 3.2% thus far in 2013.
Gold and silver stocks came under heavy selling pressure as well, as earlier today the Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) fell by as much as 2.7% to 150.53 – its lowest level since August 3rd of last year.
This afternoon, notable XAU components in the red included Barrick Gold (ABX), IAMGOLD (IAG), and Silver Standard Resources (SSRI). Shares of ABX dropped by 1.3% to $32.85, IAG by 3.6% to $8.44, and SSRI by 2.1% to $12.32.
The broader equity markets fared quite better than most gold and silver stocks, as the S&P 500 Index traded up by 0.4% at 1,500.68.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans