Chipotle To Test 'Sofritas' Tofu Option At San Francisco Locations
By Fionna Agomuoh | January 26, 2013 7:13 AM EST
Mexican fast food chain Chipotle is catering to its vegetarian and vegan customers by adding a tofu option to its menu.
The popular restaurant will test its Sofritas option in seven locations in San Francisco, beginning in February, ABC News reports.
Chipotle’s communications director Chris Arnold told the broadcast network that the Sofritas are made with “premium organic tofu from Hodo Soy in Oakland that we braise with chipotle peppers, poblanos and a blend of aromatic spices.”
As of late, increasing meat and dairy prices due to drought have affected the chain’s revenue; however, Arnold insists that implementing the tofu option is not a response to these price increases.
According to the Associated Press, despite announcing earlier this week that its fourth-quarter profit “would miss Wall Street expectations,” the company has seen a 17 percent revenue growth from a year earlier.
In late 2011, the company notably began rolling out its brown rice option, which has now become a popular staple on its menu.
“There is no correlation between the Sofritas test and meat prices. We have tested a similar item (we called it Garden Blend) but discontinued that test because we weren’t thrilled with it,” he said.
“The idea here is simply to offer another option to vegetarian customers (we are very popular in the vegetarian and vegan communities) and that will have some crossover appeal as well.”
Currently, in order to make a meal from Chipotle vegetarian, one need only leave out the meat, and vegans should leave out cheese and sour cream as well.
The restaurant, which prides itself on serving, “food with integrity,” ensures that all its ingredients are “raised with respect for the animals, the environment, and the farmer,” Chipotle says on its website.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine