Chipotle To Test 'Sofritas' Tofu Option At San Francisco Locations
By Fionna Agomuoh | January 26, 2013 7:13 AM EST
Mexican fast food chain Chipotle is catering to its vegetarian and vegan customers by adding a tofu option to its menu.
The popular restaurant will test its Sofritas option in seven locations in San Francisco, beginning in February, ABC News reports.
Chipotle’s communications director Chris Arnold told the broadcast network that the Sofritas are made with “premium organic tofu from Hodo Soy in Oakland that we braise with chipotle peppers, poblanos and a blend of aromatic spices.”
As of late, increasing meat and dairy prices due to drought have affected the chain’s revenue; however, Arnold insists that implementing the tofu option is not a response to these price increases.
According to the Associated Press, despite announcing earlier this week that its fourth-quarter profit “would miss Wall Street expectations,” the company has seen a 17 percent revenue growth from a year earlier.
In late 2011, the company notably began rolling out its brown rice option, which has now become a popular staple on its menu.
“There is no correlation between the Sofritas test and meat prices. We have tested a similar item (we called it Garden Blend) but discontinued that test because we weren’t thrilled with it,” he said.
“The idea here is simply to offer another option to vegetarian customers (we are very popular in the vegetarian and vegan communities) and that will have some crossover appeal as well.”
Currently, in order to make a meal from Chipotle vegetarian, one need only leave out the meat, and vegans should leave out cheese and sour cream as well.
The restaurant, which prides itself on serving, “food with integrity,” ensures that all its ingredients are “raised with respect for the animals, the environment, and the farmer,” Chipotle says on its website.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown