Hostess says near deal to sell Drake's cake unit
By Martinne Geller | January 26, 2013 6:49 AM EST
Hostess Brands Inc
Heather Lennox, an attorney for Hostess, told a court in White Plains, New York, that Hostess was also in advanced discussions with a number of parties for the remainder of its snack business, which includes Twinkies, according to a spokesman for Hostess.
Lennox also told the court that Hostess expects to file an agreement for the other brands in the near term, according to the spokesman, Thomas Becker.
It was not immediately clear who the agreements would be with, but private equity firm C. Dean Metropoulos said earlier this week that it was working on a deal for some Hostess brands.
"We continue to be very engaged in the bidding process," Daren Metropoulos, a principal at the firm, which also owns Pabst Brewing Co, confirmed in an email. "We are working to get a deal done."
Sources familiar with the situation have said that Metropoulos is working with Apollo Global Management . Apollo declined to comment on Friday. Metropoulos was not immediately available.
Hostess shut down its baking business and is liquidating assets after a strike by its baker's union crippled the 82-year-old company.
The sale of its assets, which range from Wonder Bread and Ding Dongs to baking equipment and real estate, is being run by bankers at Perella Weinberg, who have said they expected to pick initial bidders, or "stalking horses," for various assets this month.
According to so-called stalking horse deals, the bidders set a baseline bid to acquire some of the bankrupt company's assets, and are often entitled to a breakup fee if another buyer trumps the offer later.
Earlier this month, Hostess chose Flowers Foods
(Additional reporting by Greg Roumeliotis in New York, Editing by Gary Crosse and Bob Burgdorfer)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS