Barry George Loses Wrongful Imprisonment Compensation Bid over Jill Dando Murder
By Ewan Palmer | January 26, 2013 6:09 AM EST
The man who was falsely imprisoned for eight years for the murder of Jill Dando has lost his high court bid for compensation.
Two judges rejected Barry George's claim that the justice secretary unfairly and unlawfully decided he was "not innocent enough to be compensated".
Lord Justice Beatson and Mr Justice Irwin declared the state was "entirely justified in the conclusion" to not reward the 52-year-old compensation after wrongly being imprisoned.
George's solicitor, Nick Baird, said: "We are very disappointed with the judgment and we shall be applying for permission to leapfrog the court of appeal to have the matter heard before the supreme court."
George, 52, spent eight years in jail for the murder of the BBC presenter, who was shot dead on her doorstep in 1999. After being sentenced to life imprisonment in 2001 for Dando's murder, he was acquitted following a retrial in 2008 and freed in 2009.
He appealed to the court for compensation of £500,000 for loss of earnings and wrongful imprisonment.
But the judges said he "failed the legal test" to receive any award. Ian Glen QC, representing George, described the ruling as "defective and contrary to natural justice".
His appeal was one of five test cases to decide who should be entitled to compensation following a landmark decision by the supreme court in May 2011 which redefined what constituted a miscarriage of justice.
Previously, compensation could only be paid out if the defendant could prove they were entirely innocent.
Three other men whose convictions were later thrown out also lost their appeal for compensation. However, Ian Lawless, who was jailed for eight years for murdering retired sea captain Alf Wilkins in 2002.
Despite confessing to the killing, his conviction was later ruled unsafe after medical evidence revealed Lawless had a "pathological need for attention".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef