Barry George Loses Wrongful Imprisonment Compensation Bid over Jill Dando Murder
By Ewan Palmer | January 26, 2013 6:09 AM EST
The man who was falsely imprisoned for eight years for the murder of Jill Dando has lost his high court bid for compensation.
Two judges rejected Barry George's claim that the justice secretary unfairly and unlawfully decided he was "not innocent enough to be compensated".
Lord Justice Beatson and Mr Justice Irwin declared the state was "entirely justified in the conclusion" to not reward the 52-year-old compensation after wrongly being imprisoned.
George's solicitor, Nick Baird, said: "We are very disappointed with the judgment and we shall be applying for permission to leapfrog the court of appeal to have the matter heard before the supreme court."
George, 52, spent eight years in jail for the murder of the BBC presenter, who was shot dead on her doorstep in 1999. After being sentenced to life imprisonment in 2001 for Dando's murder, he was acquitted following a retrial in 2008 and freed in 2009.
He appealed to the court for compensation of £500,000 for loss of earnings and wrongful imprisonment.
But the judges said he "failed the legal test" to receive any award. Ian Glen QC, representing George, described the ruling as "defective and contrary to natural justice".
His appeal was one of five test cases to decide who should be entitled to compensation following a landmark decision by the supreme court in May 2011 which redefined what constituted a miscarriage of justice.
Previously, compensation could only be paid out if the defendant could prove they were entirely innocent.
Three other men whose convictions were later thrown out also lost their appeal for compensation. However, Ian Lawless, who was jailed for eight years for murdering retired sea captain Alf Wilkins in 2002.
Despite confessing to the killing, his conviction was later ruled unsafe after medical evidence revealed Lawless had a "pathological need for attention".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports