Sissoko Admits Newcastle Fans Secured Transfer
January 26, 2013 5:58 AM EST
Newcastle United have confirmed the signing of France midfielder Moussa Sissoko for an undisclosed fee on a six-and-a-half year deal from Toulouse.
The 23 year old becomes the club's fifth signing of the January transfer window, and the 10th French-based player at St James' Park.
Sissoko, who has five international caps to his name, has spent his entire professional career at Toulouse and admits the obsessive fans at Newcastle persuaded him to put pen to paper on a long-term contract.
"I am delighted to be a Newcastle United player," Sissoko said.
"This is a massive Club playing in the best league in the world, and I believe my style of play is suited to the Premier League.
"I have heard lots about how fantastic the Newcastle supporters are and cannot wait to get started.
"I am rising to a new challenge by coming here and want to firstly help the team improve this season and then progress after that."
Manager Alan Pardew said: "This transfer window has proved very productive for us and Moussa arriving today is a massive plus for the Club.
"He will bring drive and energy to the squad, he is a winner and that's why I'm especially pleased to have him with us.
"What all our signings this window bring is essential competition for places and that is great for the remainder of the season."
Pardew has signed five players in the January transfer window, with Mathieu Debuchy, Yoan Gouffran, Massadio Haidara and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa all joining from France after the club sold Demba Ba to Chelsea.
With captain Fabricio Coloccini also committing himself to the club until the end of the season after negotiations with Newcastle to cancel his contract due to personal reasons, January is proving to be a fruitful month for Pardew's side.
The club lie 16th in the Premier League table, two points adrift of the bottom three ahead a critical game against fellow strugglers Aston Villa, but with a host of new players preparing to make their debuts Newcastle have a potential trump card to pull in their attempts to beat the drop to The Championship.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Kate Middleton, Kelly Brook Have 'Most Perfect Breasts' While Kim Kardashian, Rihanna Have 'Least Desirable' Breasts, New Survey Finds [SEE PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Won't Happen As Long As Bob Arum Is Involved, Says Pacquiao's Former Conditioning Coach
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6: Performance, Sales, iOS 8 and Android 5.0 L