Sissoko Admits Newcastle Fans Secured Transfer
January 26, 2013 5:58 AM EST
Newcastle United have confirmed the signing of France midfielder Moussa Sissoko for an undisclosed fee on a six-and-a-half year deal from Toulouse.
The 23 year old becomes the club's fifth signing of the January transfer window, and the 10th French-based player at St James' Park.
Sissoko, who has five international caps to his name, has spent his entire professional career at Toulouse and admits the obsessive fans at Newcastle persuaded him to put pen to paper on a long-term contract.
"I am delighted to be a Newcastle United player," Sissoko said.
"This is a massive Club playing in the best league in the world, and I believe my style of play is suited to the Premier League.
"I have heard lots about how fantastic the Newcastle supporters are and cannot wait to get started.
"I am rising to a new challenge by coming here and want to firstly help the team improve this season and then progress after that."
Manager Alan Pardew said: "This transfer window has proved very productive for us and Moussa arriving today is a massive plus for the Club.
"He will bring drive and energy to the squad, he is a winner and that's why I'm especially pleased to have him with us.
"What all our signings this window bring is essential competition for places and that is great for the remainder of the season."
Pardew has signed five players in the January transfer window, with Mathieu Debuchy, Yoan Gouffran, Massadio Haidara and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa all joining from France after the club sold Demba Ba to Chelsea.
With captain Fabricio Coloccini also committing himself to the club until the end of the season after negotiations with Newcastle to cancel his contract due to personal reasons, January is proving to be a fruitful month for Pardew's side.
The club lie 16th in the Premier League table, two points adrift of the bottom three ahead a critical game against fellow strugglers Aston Villa, but with a host of new players preparing to make their debuts Newcastle have a potential trump card to pull in their attempts to beat the drop to The Championship.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop