Sissoko Admits Newcastle Fans Secured Transfer
January 26, 2013 5:58 AM EST
Newcastle United have confirmed the signing of France midfielder Moussa Sissoko for an undisclosed fee on a six-and-a-half year deal from Toulouse.
The 23 year old becomes the club's fifth signing of the January transfer window, and the 10th French-based player at St James' Park.
Sissoko, who has five international caps to his name, has spent his entire professional career at Toulouse and admits the obsessive fans at Newcastle persuaded him to put pen to paper on a long-term contract.
"I am delighted to be a Newcastle United player," Sissoko said.
"This is a massive Club playing in the best league in the world, and I believe my style of play is suited to the Premier League.
"I have heard lots about how fantastic the Newcastle supporters are and cannot wait to get started.
"I am rising to a new challenge by coming here and want to firstly help the team improve this season and then progress after that."
Manager Alan Pardew said: "This transfer window has proved very productive for us and Moussa arriving today is a massive plus for the Club.
"He will bring drive and energy to the squad, he is a winner and that's why I'm especially pleased to have him with us.
"What all our signings this window bring is essential competition for places and that is great for the remainder of the season."
Pardew has signed five players in the January transfer window, with Mathieu Debuchy, Yoan Gouffran, Massadio Haidara and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa all joining from France after the club sold Demba Ba to Chelsea.
With captain Fabricio Coloccini also committing himself to the club until the end of the season after negotiations with Newcastle to cancel his contract due to personal reasons, January is proving to be a fruitful month for Pardew's side.
The club lie 16th in the Premier League table, two points adrift of the bottom three ahead a critical game against fellow strugglers Aston Villa, but with a host of new players preparing to make their debuts Newcastle have a potential trump card to pull in their attempts to beat the drop to The Championship.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- American Heavyweight Boxer Amir Mansour Says It’s Disrespectful For 50 Cent To Take Jabs At Floyd Mayweather On Social Media
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge