Sissoko Admits Newcastle Fans Secured Transfer
January 26, 2013 5:58 AM EST
Newcastle United have confirmed the signing of France midfielder Moussa Sissoko for an undisclosed fee on a six-and-a-half year deal from Toulouse.
The 23 year old becomes the club's fifth signing of the January transfer window, and the 10th French-based player at St James' Park.
Sissoko, who has five international caps to his name, has spent his entire professional career at Toulouse and admits the obsessive fans at Newcastle persuaded him to put pen to paper on a long-term contract.
"I am delighted to be a Newcastle United player," Sissoko said.
"This is a massive Club playing in the best league in the world, and I believe my style of play is suited to the Premier League.
"I have heard lots about how fantastic the Newcastle supporters are and cannot wait to get started.
"I am rising to a new challenge by coming here and want to firstly help the team improve this season and then progress after that."
Manager Alan Pardew said: "This transfer window has proved very productive for us and Moussa arriving today is a massive plus for the Club.
"He will bring drive and energy to the squad, he is a winner and that's why I'm especially pleased to have him with us.
"What all our signings this window bring is essential competition for places and that is great for the remainder of the season."
Pardew has signed five players in the January transfer window, with Mathieu Debuchy, Yoan Gouffran, Massadio Haidara and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa all joining from France after the club sold Demba Ba to Chelsea.
With captain Fabricio Coloccini also committing himself to the club until the end of the season after negotiations with Newcastle to cancel his contract due to personal reasons, January is proving to be a fruitful month for Pardew's side.
The club lie 16th in the Premier League table, two points adrift of the bottom three ahead a critical game against fellow strugglers Aston Villa, but with a host of new players preparing to make their debuts Newcastle have a potential trump card to pull in their attempts to beat the drop to The Championship.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet