Liverpool's Recruitment Team Planning Two More January Signings
By Nick Howson | January 26, 2013 5:31 AM EST
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers says the club want two more signings in the January transfer window to add to striker Daniel Sturridge.
Sturridge joined in the opening week of the window, and has since scored in each of his three appearances for The Reds.
But Rodgers wants to make further additions to his squad and amid rumours over moves for Blackpool's Tom Ince and Inter Milan midfield Philippe Coutinho, says Liverpool's recruitment team are working hard to make deals happen.
"We hope to do some business between now and the end of the month. The owners have been brilliant and supporting," said Rodgers.
"We know we still need one or two additions more. The club is doing everything it possible can to assist me in that. If we can, great. If not, we'll have to review it again in the summer.
"We've got a young player who'll go out on loan to get some experience but apart from that I don't expect people [to go]. One or two, maybe, to come in.
"The real plans are for now," he added. "Short term we want to improve and develop. You can see that, we brought in Daniel and he's been excellent so far.
"We got the recruitment team in, the lines are very clear, everyone has an understanding of where we're at and it's working how we envisaged it to work.
"There is a small group who communicate a lot and go through targets, and there is a small group who'll decide what players we're going to bring in. It's worked very, very well, and that relationship will only get better going forward.
"We acted quickly bringing Daniel Sturridge in and he's made a great impact, and proven that the owners were right to fund the money for him. £12 million for a player like Daniel Sturridge is a real bargain and I think he'll prove that over the next couple of seasons."
While rumours regarding Ince have been sporadic in recent weeks, Liverpool have been strongly linked with a move for Coutinho, the Inter Brazilian midfielder, of late with the club credited with having made an £8m offer for the player.
But Rodgers is still yet to confirm his interest for Coutinho, who has one international cap to his name, as Liverpool's hunt for new additions continues.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans