Liverpool's Recruitment Team Planning Two More January Signings
By Nick Howson | January 26, 2013 5:31 AM EST
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers says the club want two more signings in the January transfer window to add to striker Daniel Sturridge.
Sturridge joined in the opening week of the window, and has since scored in each of his three appearances for The Reds.
But Rodgers wants to make further additions to his squad and amid rumours over moves for Blackpool's Tom Ince and Inter Milan midfield Philippe Coutinho, says Liverpool's recruitment team are working hard to make deals happen.
"We hope to do some business between now and the end of the month. The owners have been brilliant and supporting," said Rodgers.
"We know we still need one or two additions more. The club is doing everything it possible can to assist me in that. If we can, great. If not, we'll have to review it again in the summer.
"We've got a young player who'll go out on loan to get some experience but apart from that I don't expect people [to go]. One or two, maybe, to come in.
"The real plans are for now," he added. "Short term we want to improve and develop. You can see that, we brought in Daniel and he's been excellent so far.
"We got the recruitment team in, the lines are very clear, everyone has an understanding of where we're at and it's working how we envisaged it to work.
"There is a small group who communicate a lot and go through targets, and there is a small group who'll decide what players we're going to bring in. It's worked very, very well, and that relationship will only get better going forward.
"We acted quickly bringing Daniel Sturridge in and he's made a great impact, and proven that the owners were right to fund the money for him. £12 million for a player like Daniel Sturridge is a real bargain and I think he'll prove that over the next couple of seasons."
While rumours regarding Ince have been sporadic in recent weeks, Liverpool have been strongly linked with a move for Coutinho, the Inter Brazilian midfielder, of late with the club credited with having made an £8m offer for the player.
But Rodgers is still yet to confirm his interest for Coutinho, who has one international cap to his name, as Liverpool's hunt for new additions continues.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys