Liverpool's Recruitment Team Planning Two More January Signings
By Nick Howson | January 26, 2013 5:31 AM EST
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers says the club want two more signings in the January transfer window to add to striker Daniel Sturridge.
Sturridge joined in the opening week of the window, and has since scored in each of his three appearances for The Reds.
But Rodgers wants to make further additions to his squad and amid rumours over moves for Blackpool's Tom Ince and Inter Milan midfield Philippe Coutinho, says Liverpool's recruitment team are working hard to make deals happen.
"We hope to do some business between now and the end of the month. The owners have been brilliant and supporting," said Rodgers.
"We know we still need one or two additions more. The club is doing everything it possible can to assist me in that. If we can, great. If not, we'll have to review it again in the summer.
"We've got a young player who'll go out on loan to get some experience but apart from that I don't expect people [to go]. One or two, maybe, to come in.
"The real plans are for now," he added. "Short term we want to improve and develop. You can see that, we brought in Daniel and he's been excellent so far.
"We got the recruitment team in, the lines are very clear, everyone has an understanding of where we're at and it's working how we envisaged it to work.
"There is a small group who communicate a lot and go through targets, and there is a small group who'll decide what players we're going to bring in. It's worked very, very well, and that relationship will only get better going forward.
"We acted quickly bringing Daniel Sturridge in and he's made a great impact, and proven that the owners were right to fund the money for him. £12 million for a player like Daniel Sturridge is a real bargain and I think he'll prove that over the next couple of seasons."
While rumours regarding Ince have been sporadic in recent weeks, Liverpool have been strongly linked with a move for Coutinho, the Inter Brazilian midfielder, of late with the club credited with having made an £8m offer for the player.
But Rodgers is still yet to confirm his interest for Coutinho, who has one international cap to his name, as Liverpool's hunt for new additions continues.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage