Yum’s Chinese Chicken Troubles
January 26, 2013 4:21 AM EST
While Yum! Brands’ ( didn’t reprimand Yum harshly at the time, hinting that the company may finally be getting past Chinese scrutiny of its brand. However, consumers were a little less forgiving. When word got out about the chicken, thousands commented negatively on the company.
Yum’s chairman and chief executive of its China operations, Sam Su, apologized to consumers and accredited the chicken issues to poor internal communication and a failure to address problems quickly. China is critically important to Yum, as the company earned 44 percent of its revenue there last year.
Fortunately for Yum, the Chinese seems to be focusing more on the chicken suppliers. One Chinese chicken supplier, New Hope Liuhe Co., apologized for negligence and closed a processing plant. Su said Yum would strengthen its supervision of suppliers in the future.
Unfortunately, the Chinese government is still wary of Yum, as Chinese authorities said last month that they were doing a follow-up investigation on Yum’s own chicken testing — in which the company found 8 out of 19 batches of chicken samples had excessive levels of antibiotics in 2010 and 2011 — to see if the company had responded appropriately to the findings. Yum expects its fourth-quarter same-store sales in its China division to drop 6 percent, which could have a stiff impact on the company’s total revenue.
Copyright Wall St Cheat Street All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales