Quarter of Population Carried Swine Flu during Pandemic
By Hannah Osborne | January 26, 2013 4:06 AM EST
Almost a quarter of people were infected with swine flu in the first year of the outbreak of the pandemic in 2009.
The rate of the H1N1 infection was highest in children and young people, with 47 percent of 5-19-year-olds showing signs of the virus.
It found older people had lower rates of infection, with around 11 percent of over 65s infected.
Scientists believe the lower rates in older people could be a result of previous circulating influenza viruses giving them some protection from the swine flu strain.
Blood samples from this group showed 14 percent already had antibodies that reacted to the infection.
The research, published in the journal Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses, found that between 20 to 27 percent of the people living in infected areas had swine flu.
Fatality ratio 0.02 percent
Scientists think this rate was probably similar in countries where there is no data available, meaning a quarter of the population could have been infected.
Senior author Anthony Mounts, from WHO, said: "Knowing the proportion of the population infected in different age groups and the proportion of those infected who died will help public health decision-makers plan for and respond to pandemics.
"This information will be used to quantify severity and develop mathematical models to predict how flu outbreaks spread and what effect different interventions may have."
Another author, Maria Van Kerkhove, from Imperial College London, said: "This study is the result of a combined effort by more than 27 research groups worldwide, who all shared their data and experience with us to help improve our understanding of the impact the pandemic had globally."
The study tested 90,000 blood samples collected during and after the pandemic to test for antibodies produced to fight the infection.
It also estimated that the fatality ratio was less than 0.02 percent - around 200,000 people are thought to have died from the disease. WHO declared the pandemic over in August 2010.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Alien Base Found on Moon: UFO Enthusiasts Celebrate [Watch Video]
- Regular Sexual Intercourse Can Ward Off Erection Problems, Say Researchers
- Alien Mystery Solved: NASA Reveals the Truth About the Strange Figure Recorded on the Moon (Watch Video)
- Real Life Mermaid Swims in Paris: Viewers Amazed (Watch Video)
- Climate Change Has Given Birth to New Hybrid Species: Transformation Before Man's Eyes
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015